What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.7 cm Steel case

Andysarmoury

Premium Member

Hi All, Picked up an all steel German 7.7 cm case the other day, something you don't see very often, it needs a bit of TLC but pleased with it. its got some splits around the neck, but cant see any head stamps so i expect they are long gone now, anybody know what sort of date they started to make steel cases. This one looks as if its a two piece construction.
cheers
Andy

Attachments

• steel 77 cm (4).jpg
    steel 77 cm (4).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 36
  • steel 77 cm.jpg
    steel 77 cm.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 34
  • steel 77 cm (3).jpg
    steel 77 cm (3).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 35
  • steel 77 cm (2).jpg
    steel 77 cm (2).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi Andy,
Not that common i dont think as i cant recall seeing very many over the years, most of the two part constuction cases seem to be steel base with brass upper section. Thanks for showing it, best Weasel

Last edited:
Your case is of AEG design which was already available in 03/1916. But I don't know since when it was made. AEG design not means that it must have been produced by the AEG there were about 20 factories producing steel cases.

And at least 2 more designs of steel cases existed (AWDr and Gossweiler) and then the brass cases with steel base (probably a Rheinmetall design). To bad that nearly never steel cases with readable factory stamps are seen...

Hi Andy,
Not that common i dont think as i cant recall seeing very many over the years, most of the two part constuction cases seem to be steel base with brass upper section. Thanks for showing it, best Weasel

Thanks Weasel, Its the first one i have come across in 50 years collecting, i do have a steel base one so a nice addition to the collection.
Cheers
Andy

Your case is of AEG design which was already available in 03/1916. But I don't know since when it was made. AEG design not means that it must have been produced by the AEG there were about 20 factories producing steel cases.

And at least 2 more designs of steel cases existed (AWDr and Gossweiler) and then the brass cases with steel base (probably a Rheinmetall design). To bad that nearly never steel cases with readable factory stamps are seen...

Hi Alpine, yes its a pity the stamps are gone but never mind its a nice variation to have in the collection, thanks for your help. Just need to clean it up now.
Cheers
Andy

Hi
Cases with base steel an brass case i've are stamped :210 E&G SEPT for one,an other for Rheinmetal : circle rheinmetal and 6

An other design of Rheinmetal (central base and case in brass and aroundd base steel) :334 Sp6 18 (for year) and circle of Rheinmetal on brass base an around steel base
: 37 17 Sp64 and circle of Rheinmetal on brass base with more stranges stamps...
: 13 17 Sp61 little 50 and circle of Rheinmetal on brass base with more stranges stamps
A case and base steel notified on base : circle Rheinmetal 287 5 no more stamps
: 2 AEG 1918 8988 Sp51

An added to say that the Steel Case i've like your case is the last stamps i've notified 2 AEG 1918 8988 Sp 51