What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British no.15 "Cricket ball" grenade

Mannlicher

Hello everyone.
Question for the collective mind - did the no.15 ball grenades had painted markings? If yes, what colour? Any photos/diagrams with such markings? My google-fu is hitting thin air... :tinysmile_cry_t3:

Thank you in advance.
M

From the 1915 publication 'The Training and Employment of Grenadiers'.

WEIGHT of grenade complete 1 lb. 6ozs.
WEIGHT of ammonal 5 1/2 ozs.
DESCRIPTION. (See Plate 25.)
The body is a cast-iron sphere 3" in diameter, filled with ammonal, and closed by a screwed steel plug 1 3/8" diam. This plug carries a copper tube to take the detonator into the centre of the grenade. There are two holes in the top of the plug to take a key for the plug which is screwed down flush. Two copper wires, for tying down the fuze, are attached to a small stud on the plug. Lighter, fuze and detonator; as for No. 8 and 9 Grenades, or Brock Lighter.
Instructions for throwing. The precautions' to be taken are also the same as for Nos. 8 and 9 with the addition of waxing round the plug.

Sectioned image of the ball grenade from the same document.

Ball Hand Grenade.jpg

From the 1918 book 'Explanatory List of Service Markings to be found on ammunition and ammunition packages in use with the Field Armies'.

Grenades
Stencilling
Red ring = when filled.
Pink band = Ammonal and Alumatol fillings.
Green band = Amatol filling.
1.5 inch red square on grenades filled K.J." mixture.
In the cases of grenades with other fillings, the nature of the explosive is stencilled on the lid of box only.

So as BMG50 stated, it should have a red and a pink band. The first for its HE fill. The second to denote the ammonal filling.

Last edited:
mvc-056s.jpgmvc-057s.jpg

Interesting question . Here's three of the ones I have . First a repainted example , second a factory cut-away & last the normal bare metal finish one . Over the course of 50 years or so I must have had dozens & dozens of No 15's in all sorts of conditions from relic to mint but I have never seen one with original painted bands . Plenty with repaints but none with genuine markings . I'm not saying they don't exist , just I've never had one or seen one anywhere . This would seem to be unusual as most British ordnance is well marked . Perhaps someone knows the definitive answer to this apparent enigma ? Hope this is of some interest . Siegfreid .

Thank you very much, guys. Much appreciated and very useful info.
Sorry for the late response, life made me meander away for awhile :)

Stay safe.
M