What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1915 short German casing ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
I also hve this. It was heavily encrusted with scale on the outside
so it may have been under water. The inside must have been protected
because it was clear. I didn't know what it was before scale removal, it was labeled
as Trench Mortar as if it was French~
Measurements are ; 11.6cm length, base diameter 85-86mm , the top is slightly
flared so aI get 75mm one way, 78mm another.
I know these have been disscused before but not sure what I would be looking for.

Attachments

• GC1.jpg
    GC1.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 54
  • GC2.jpg
    GC2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 76
Two stick on stickers by whom I have no idea and being German obviously wrong.
I know the German 96 7.7cm field gun started off with a short casing but 1915
is too late for that. There was also some sort of short casing Navel gun 60mm ?
This has no Navel marks.

Last edited:
I think the Skoda case is too long at 129mm.
Hawkinson lists a 77x118R case as a Karlsruhe fort gun 1915 with an 87mm rim. I think this is a better ID? Ron.

They are for Krupp mountain guns. Two types are existing with and without shoulder. It's unclear which case belongs two which gun exactly because there is a wide diversity of Krupp mountain guns. During war some of the guns were officially used by the german army because we had no mountain gun when the war started. Most of these guns were made for export but not delivered and then seized by the prussian state in the Krupp factory. One example of possible guns is the 7,5 cm Geb. K. Krupp L/14.