What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocket Head ? Canadian marked Identification

Gspragge

Premium Member
I have been asked what this is. To me it looks
like a solid rocket head ? The marking indicates
Canadian issue of a more modern nature.

Attachments

• Thing-1.png
    Thing-1.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Thing-2.png
    Thing-2.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 43
  • thing-3.jpg
    thing-3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 35
  • thing-4.jpg
    thing-4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 30
  • thing-5.jpg
    thing-5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 30
That is really interesting. Hope someone here has more info on it and possibly some photos of the complete rocket.

Jason
PS: I just put it together after so many years, but one of my favorite torpedo artifacts was purchased from you 15+ years ago. LOL

Has a similarity to the 20pdr AP penetrator, carried in the sabot. Maybe look in that direction?

Yep I agee with Kahu1 - 20pdr or maybe 17pdr core from a APDS

I had 20pdr core with the base petal at one stage - this is the only photo of it.

Attachments

• 20pdr.jpg
    20pdr.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
With that style of mark on it, it will be a 20 not 17pr., too modern.
Thanks to all, now the price will double no doubt from the absurd to the ridiculous !

It's very close to the sub-projectile of the Mk. 3 DS practice, but different in a couple of ways.

The first is that tracer or tracer housing is screwed into a recess in the base of the sub-projectile, whereas in the Mk. 3 the tracer is housed in an extension of the base of the sub-projectile as seen in the image (plate) posted by kahul1 which is probably taken from page the publication 'Regulations For Army Ordnance Services - Volume 4 - Ammunition - Pamphlet 8 - QF Fixed Ammunition - Part 9 - Cartridge QF 20-pr (1957)'.

Another difference, though this just might not be shown in the plate, is the knurled of the bottom edge of the sub-projectile. This is present so that on firing the setback forces push the ridges into the softer aluminium alloy sabot pot. This results in a good mating between the two and insuring the transfer of torque to the sub-projectile and hence making sure it spins up to the same rate as the sabot.

So it might be that this a later mark of 20-pr DS-Prac, it's certainly not earlier (see images), a Canadian variant of the 20-pr DS-Prac Mk. 3, a later Canadian variant of the 20-pr DS-Prac, or some other DS-Prac sub-projectile.

20-pr DS-Prac Mk. 1

20-pr Mk. 1 DS practice.jpg

20-pr DS-Prac Mk. 2

20-pr Mk. 2 DS practice.jpg

Last edited: