What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volkshandgranate 45: 1/4 section sketch

Kosta_g

Hi everyone!
I've drew the sectioned Volkshandgrante 45 so it's time to share it.
This is one of the types of VHnd Gr 45 that use a few parts from the Eihandgranate 39 (threaded bush+detonator tube and millboard washer).
Note: some details are shown simplistically.
cutaway_VHndGr-45.jpg

Based on sketch (Fig.25) from Technical Report N o.2/46 Part N, GERMAN AMMUNITION - A SURVEY OF WARTIME DEVELOPMENT GRENADES, Author: W.J. Ashby:
ARD Report German grenades_088.jpg

A.jpegB.jpegC.jpegThanks for the diagram.
I show my concrete grenade with some original paint on the lid and remains of what looks like paper or thin card over the concrete. Maybe for waterproofing or a label?
The fuze was loose so I tried to make a wood dummy charge and aluminium holder to make it look presentable and complete.
I added the washer on top of the lid to keep the fuze tight.

Last edited:
ron3350, I was try to send you a PM but unsuccessfully (dunno why).
2 options are possible:
first one- your item has nipolit charge with threaded bush inside (something like an Bohrpatrone 28)
291800_900.jpg291900_800.jpgnipo4.jpg

or
second one- your item was equipped cap with star-lock washer (germ. stern sicherungsscheibe)
178332_original.jpg292527_900.jpg292780_800.jpg

Last edited:
Kosta
I got the message from Tuesday OK. Very helpful information .
The fuze had to have some way to tighten it, I will leave the grenade as is. Still looks nice. How common are these concrete grenades. Only one I ever found.

interesting... I have one of these (body only) I picked up on egun (I think) some years ago. I remember somebody was making/selling replicas of the Nipolit grenades back then also. were the Volkshandgranate and Nipolit grenades actually issued and used in any significant number, and with any success?