What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about 81mm french mortar grenade and fuze

Adrenalin

Hi guys,

i am new to the forum and i have a question directly.

A friend send me these pictures of this 81mm french mortar grenade with fuze. Grenade and fuze are complete inert. The fuze is iron and there a no stemps on it. The socket is untypical big and had the stamps ABS 15.33.
I have the same mortar as a practice version in black/blue with the markings "EXce". Also with this socket but without any fuze.

My questions:

1. Can anybody tell me a few informations about this fuze ?
2: When is this specially big socket use (only practice or smoke) ?

Thank you, best regards
Adrenalin

IMG-20191215-WA0009.jpgIMG-20191215-WA0008.jpgIMG-20191215-WA0010.jpg

I think the fuze may be for an artillery shell and not for mortars. That just happens to fit. Looks like a WW1 version German Dopp. Z. variation.

Last edited:
Thank you very much.

The drawings are from belot ?
Did you have any informations or drawings from the suitable fuze "fusée de 24/31mm d´exercice" ?

Best regards.
Adrenalin

Not sure but I think it was those ones : 24/31 PRACTICE RYG 18 (drawing below) or 24/31 PRACTICE RY 17
Black powder replaces the detonator

FR_FUZ_2431RYGM18IPRACbis.jpg

Great !

So, on pic 3, the upper piece isn´t a fuze. It´s a screw for closing the hole....?! That make sense.
Thank you again.

Greetings
Adrenalin

Seems to be a fuze. I don't know which one, but not the right one.

Last edited: