What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a improvised German Glassmine?

Antoon

Ordnance approved
These items have been found a couple of years ago at an old German ammunition dump in the Netherlands.

Could this be some sort of improvised Glassmine. In the slot should be a metal strip to hold the lid in place. Or is it no ammunition at all.

Greetings - Antoon

7d0c576a-79f8-49f5-9adf-4258ba6e16fe.JPG 7932e44d-ee0e-42a3-ad47-7e14bf506cc8.JPG

Personnal idea, the glas shape seems to be too sophisticated to be an "improvised" mine.

Yoda

could be an experimental version of the glassmine,although the bottom of its appears to be rounded which would cause it to roll over and not sit flat on the ground,also what explosive would go on the inside as this is also rounded?
maybe its a gunpowder sample container?

Hi Antoon
I was told that it was a German manufactured glass insulator for overhead electricity lines when I asked, so not ammunition related. The item was originally suspected of being a type of Glassmine, but I believe similar shaped items made of ceramic pot have been found leading to it's correct identification. Picture attached from MTM - Dawn collection

PA230007.jpg

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Switch