What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 75mm Armor Piercing Projectile in the US

M8owner

I found the projectile on the left recently. I thought it was a French Mle 1910 armor piercing round for the French 75mm when I bought it. It is shown next to my Polish made Mle 1910 projectile, so they are not the same. The fuse thread is not the same either. The outside dimension of the driving band is the same as the Mle 1910 and my other 75mm US projectiles. The driving band is not as wide as the Mle 1910 or other US 75mm projectiles. This has to be made for the French 75mm and not any 3 inch gun variety - I believe. However, I have never seen a US AP projectile for the French 75mm. It obviously has a crimping groove, and there are no remaining markings that I can find. I would greatly appreciate your input.

Attachments

• Unknown 75mm AP bottom.jpg
    Unknown 75mm AP bottom.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Unknown 75mm AP.jpg
    Unknown 75mm AP.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 98
It does not look like any of the projectiles in the 1942 dated M1903 Seacoast gun manual TM 9-421, and the 3 inch driving bands are much wider.

Japanese 75mm AP/HE Projectile

Jackpot! It is Japanese! Whoo Hooo! It is damn near impossible to find Japanese 75mm projectiles besides those for the Type 88 antiaircraft gun.

Attachments

• Japanese 75mm AP.jpg
    Japanese 75mm AP.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 60
All of the Seacoast Gun 3 inch projectiles (Shrapnel, HE, AP, and TP) before the late 30's and early 40's when the barrel twist was changed to a faster twist, had 1/2 inch rotating bands. That's why there are 4 lengths of cartridge cases. The two taller cases of each general length are for the older projos with 1/2 inch bands.

The smaller driving band compared to the US 75mm made me think of the Japanese 37mm, 47mm and 57mm projectile designs. Might someone in the US have a nice a Type 41 case - about 7.25 inches tall - they could sell me to hold this?

Attachments

• Japanese 75mm Comparison Chart.jpg
    Japanese 75mm Comparison Chart.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 33
Holy Crap!
First time I have seen one of those in a collectors hands. That might be a once in a lifetime find. Congrats.
You don't have to use just the 184r case for that. Would also be proper in a 294r and possibly the 424r case (I'm pretty sure the Type 90 FG started with single drive band AP ammo then received the dual band in 1945).
I HIGHLY recommend Rikugun (volume 2) by Leland Ness if any collector has an interest in WW2 Jap ordnance.

Last edited:
Here it is on the Type 41 mountain gun case - Thanks Rick! I put it on the lathe - a little turning, some grinding, some epoxy, some polishing. I like for them to look used and old. I prefer JB Weld five minute epoxy to Bondo as it cures black, and is thus much harder to detect.

Attachments

• Jap 75mm AP Type 41 MT Gun.jpg
    Jap 75mm AP Type 41 MT Gun.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 48
I bought the book that Jeff W. recommended (Rikugun Vol 2 weapons of the Jap Imperial Army), and it is excellent! Lots of photos of artillery,mortars, recoilless, and even chemical equipment. Some ammo photos.