What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm casing question

M10a3

3E3D96F6-76CB-4ADD-8E45-75C4D8FBADB3.jpgA9CE59B0-3EDC-48A6-8154-44D047D55861.jpgI have searched both companies on the base plate but I can’t find anything on them. The case neck diameter is 76.5 mm, the base plate is 90mm, and the length of the case is 384mm. The projectile is 75mm in diameter and 300mm in length. I originally thought French but the cartridge base plate does not indicate that. Maybe the projo and cartridge don’t belong together. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
You have a Russian 76mm HE projectile and case vintage WWI. Both were probably made in the US since we supplied millions of both to the Russians in WWI.

Wow, I never thought of it being Russian. The odd part is the lack of rotating band on the projectile.

Can you get the projectile out of the case? Looks like the driveband was removed and then the projectile was shoved down into the case past the driveband. I'd be curious to see the markings on the projectile, if there are any

I've used PVC pipe as a kinetic puller. If the PVC is too big in diameter, cut slits in the end and draw the size down with a hose clamp until the casing rim sits flush with the end of the PVC pipe.

We find lots of these 76mm WW1 US made cases here in Normandie. The weapons, along with the ammunition were captured on the Eastern Front and then set into bunkers here on the Western Front.
They were then fired at the advancing Allied soldiers coming ashore on D Day. What a very strange and sad world we live in.

The odd part is the lack of rotating band on the projectile.
The lack of a rotating band could also mean that it is a drill/dummy round. Before pulling it apart perhaps unscrew the primer first. Some drill/dummy rounds have a rod from the base of the shell body down to the primer hole, where the rod is secured by a screw and the primer only acts as a plug to cover that screw.

Last edited:
Bacarnal what a great idea you the man, I will be giving that a try this week hopefully.

Greif I was able to easily remove the primer plug and it is empty inside, thanks to you for another great idea.