What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Rifle Grenade.....Iranian?

ordnance

Premium Member
Can someone help me with a positive identification of this rifle grenade? Iranian? Iraqi? Thanks for any help.

P1070398.jpgP1070397.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot positively identify this item, though this information may be useful.

According to the internet, the upside-down heart shaped symbol at the bottom left in the first photo is a Persian number five. This suggests Iranian origin as it is different to the Arabic number five.

Pakistani could also be possible as the same character for number 5 is apparently also used with written Urdu.

Here is the chart I used to identify these numbers. I do not have any knowledge of the languages themselves so cannot identify which of these it is.

Arabic-numerals.png

Just an amendment to the above post as it is now too late to edit:

I would assume Pakistani to be less likely as their small arms packaging is marked in English as that is the official language of the country. I cannot say that for certain however.

Rick, do you have a full length photo? The colors remind me of some of the items in Jordanian boxes marked "Farm Implements" we encountered in DS.

Bruce,

Farm implements for harvesting a tank or two? Sorry I forgot to include a full length image in the original post.

I got some good responses from a post on one of the Facebook groups and am confident it is an Iranian piece. While there is some overlap in the Persian/Farsi and Urdu characters, most of the other indicators point toward Iran and not Pakistan or other ME country.

One poster suggested it was a copy of the German DM22 HEAT grenade and the DM28 practice version next to it seems to bear that out. Another identified it as a Swiss 70mm P-70-F rifle grenade. If so, I think it is still a copy of the earlier German DM22 design made on contract for Iran.

Another contributed a translation of the markings by an Iranian friend:

"Gun bomb
Anti battle Tank gun bomb
Model 1a22
Year is 65, I think it's Persian year which will be 1986"

So I'm confident it's Iranian and thanks again to all who contributed to the discussion.

P1070401.jpgP1070396.jpg

Last edited: