What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

77 tracer

tnor_fr

I present to you the cutaways of a 77 tracer.
Rare documentation about this projectile, the only one I have is this extract from the archives of Vincennes.
Maybe you have others?
Thx

77 T1_.jpg77 t2_.jpg77 t3_.jpg77 t4_.jpg77tr.jpg

Attachments

• 77 T1.jpg
    77 T1.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 77 t2.jpg
    77 t2.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 77 t3.jpg
    77 t3.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 77 t5.jpg
    77 t5.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 50
Nothing to find about the conversion to a smoke tracer. Such shells usually were used by BAK (Ballon-Abwehr-Kanonen) for firing at Baloons. Have seen such Smoke Tracers also in 75 and 65 mm.

Basically it's a "Feldgranate 96 A". Also the stamps are interesting because they are completely readable. They say that it was machined by "Pe" (unknown :hmmmm2:). It would be interesting which year stamp is behind the "Pe" (can't read it on the picture)? Or isn't it a year mark but "Pels"? A year mark behind the machining factory is unusual and against regulations.

The cavity of the shell has been drilled out (A) and it is made from "Thomasstahl" (T) bar steel blanks which were delivered by the "AEH" = "Adolf-Emil-Hütte" from "Esch sur Alzette" in Luxembourg. The single "N" Stamp below the "A T" stamp means that it has a new type (copper saving) driving band which is also good visible on the cut surface.

I think "Pe" machined a normal F.Gr.96 A and did not do the conversion to a smoke tracer shell.

Last edited:
now I am pretty sure it reads "Pels" which should be the "Berlin-Erfurter Maschinenfabrik Henry Pels & Co. AG". This company machined the shell.

Just want to add this advertisement from a German newspaper of 1918 about the Henry Pels & Co. company because I just found it accidently during sorting work. In this advertisement the company is looking for an other company which is able to machine a "large number of head pieces of L.F.H.Gr. 10,4". In reality they are talking about the "10,5 cm lange Feldhaubitzgranate". I know this thread is about the 7,7 cm F. Gr. 96 A but the advertisment is still a good proof that they made steel shells at all. It was a common practise that the shell producing companies "outsourced" the machining of the separate screwed in head-pieces.

Attachments

• Henry Pels & Co., Erfurt, 10 cm Granaten.jpg
    Henry Pels & Co., Erfurt, 10 cm Granaten.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: