What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105x617 DM23 APFSDS-T

Haenosaki

The 105x617 DM23 projectile is produced in Israel and is the for Germany produced version of the Israeli M111 Hetz projectile.
The DM23 projectile consists of an aluminum ballistic cap (A), screwed unto a Tungsten penetrator (C). Inside the ballistic cap, there are 3 Tungsten cylinders (B). Between the cap and the first cylinder are two spring washers. the ballistic cap, the 3 cylinders and the penetrator are glued together.
The 3 cylinders are meant to prepare the impact point for the penetrator. The cylinders reduce the chance of a ricochet and improve penetration.
The Sabot (E) consists of 3 major parts. The front of the sabot has 6 holes (two per part). The front of the sabot also has an aluminum ring (D), as does the bottom part (H). These rings hold the sabot together. The rings have pre-fabricated weak points, that will break when the sabot encounters wind resistance after leaving the barrel, allowing the sabot parts to move away from the penetrator. The sabot has indentations on the inside, that match rings on the outside of the penetrator. These rings and indentations are radial, not screw thread shaped, allowing the penetrator to turn freely in the sabot. This prevents transfer of rotation from the rifled barrel on the sabot to the penetrator. The sabot has a rubber ring (I) that creates a gas seal inside the sabot. The outside of the sabot has a plastic gas seal (G) that can slide over another plastic glide ring (F). Even under pressure, these rings can move independently of each other, to prevent imparting spin from the rifled barrel unto the penetrator.
The end of the penetrator has a steel fin assembly, containing a tracer element.
After firing of the cartridge, the projectile leaves the barrel of the gun, the wind resistance breaks the aluminum rings and forces the sabot open, pushing the parts outward. The penetrator flies forward to the target and penetrates the armour by using direct pressure on a very small surface area.
Technical data:
Projectile Weight: 6.2 Kg
Penetrator Weight: 4.2 Kg
Muzzle velocity: 1450 m/s
Maximum range at 10 degrees elevation: 30.9 Km

Models DM23, DM23A1 and DM23A2 only differ in the electric primer used in the cartridge case.

DM23-1.jpg

DM23-2.jpgDM23-3.jpg

Love this round! Did you remove and section the windscreen yourself? AMAZING job if you did. I may have to try this on one of my, M111/DM23's. It is so cool getting to see those preparation cylinders. I believe they are called, "DENAL WADS," not 100%? Either way, it is awesome getting to see them in this sectioned projectile. The M111/DM23 has been sold to many other countries, including, South Africa.

Thanks so much for posting these photos and great information. I always wondered what the differences were between to type classification variants, IT'S THE PRIMERS :)

Jason

great photos and cutaway, interesting that 120mm DM23 have hemispherical tip to increase penetration on inclined targets, and 120mm DM33 has break-off tip, but never seen any cutaways on 120mm...

cHt559HiRVg.jpg

p.s Sweden has very interesting variant of DM23 with new sabot, called m/80

0bhEZNB4L6Y.jpg

this is m/90, but m/80 has same sabot

EO0TGBtsYP0.jpg

and M/80

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know how they made that hole through that teardrop shaped penetrator?

WOW! I have never seen that 105mm, Swedish round before! Thanks, Wolchonnok! Now I gotta find one :) VERY unusual design.

Jason
[h=2][/h]

i think it's something for longer barrel of STRV103, but never saw any good photos of it

Haenosaki,
great photos of that projectile! First time seeing so clear illustration of 105 mm M111/DM 23 design.

Wolchonok,
thanks for photos that Sweedish projos. Indeed, quite odd sabot there. My guess it was not a matter of long barrel of Strv 103`s gun but of autoloader. Spool-shaped sabot could not work good with mechanism designed to feed gun with APDS ammo.