What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Respectable U.S. 75mm projectile WW1 ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
I was given this projectile, it had been made into a lamp with a false brass nose.
After removing the lampage and silver paint it turned into a decent projectile.
It wasn't polished down or nickel plated, only a hole through the base which I can live with.
The markings are sharp and I assume it is of ww1 vintage, but I wish to confirm this.
I doubt I will find the upper parts to it, but I have a nice wood plug from such a projectile
which is a perfect fit. I just need to confirm what kind of case date wise to look for.
Also who made it would also be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 67
Guess it's made by "John Bertram and Sons" Company. There's a great video about 8-in shell production in their factory in Youtube. If I am right it's beside it's condition a great piece of history because this video survived the times.

If you found it in Canada I wonder if there were US-inspectors in this Canadian factory which punched the acceptance stamps on the shell.

Last edited:
That's very interesting -- Indeed one would expect U.S. inspectors overseeing a contract, just like the Russian inspectors in U.S. factories.
Now I have to look for a Canadian made case 1917 or more likely 1918. Yes this was found locally, so no doubt made into a lamp after the contract was ended up here,
not at all uncommon. In this state the wood plug also found up here would be correct as well. It likely never saw a case or even the nose parts ~
(but if anyone has these bits please get in touch) I have seen the same thing dated for ww2 up here as well, but then it was for the Sherman tank and such things.
I have added 2 images of the factory, one slightly enlarged that I found online.
I believe the Dundas (Ontario) Museum has archival information for the company. So I will contact them and see if there is any information
regarding U.S. contracts.

What is the correct designation; I see the marking M27 1V, so is it M27 MKlV 75mm projectile or 75mm MklV projectile. ??
The painted markings as per 1921 seem to be 75 G MKlV ~

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 3.25.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 3.25.08 PM.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 3.23.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 3.23.37 PM.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Does it have brass plate on the base? 75mm rounds like that were fired by the National Guard in the 20's and 30's here in the states.

The rounds were semi-dangerous to fire, and were only to be fired by lanyard from behind a barricade, unless in times of war. There are concrete "remudas" (as referred to by the National Guard) up above old Fort Boise where the Guard would fire their French 75's up into the foothills. Concrete walls with a footprint like this \_/. The guns would be forward of the enclosure, and the crew would be hiding in the enclosed part to pull the lanyards. There are 2 or 3 remudas side by side.

Brass base

Here is the base, yes Brass. I presume then the fuze used wasn't bore safe, as
was the problem with some French fuzes or I guess a copy of.
As this one seems to be an end of war left over it likely never got
beyond the way it is and never made it to the U.S.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 32
An update on progress.
I had this over polished and formerly nickel plated 75. It had the adapter
on it. I had it in a French case with a French fuze.
Now realizing that it is not French , I switched the the adapter (it was still marked MKlll, so wasn't polished to death) over to the new
projectile. With the kindness of member Bacarnal I have a MKlV fuze on top. (he has found duds in range clearances with this fuze on a small
percentage of 75 rounds). So all I need is a proper made in Canada 75 contract case and I'm good.

later comment ; so now I have a French fuze and case with no French 75 projectile to
put between ~ Might be a bit of a lucky thing to find an actual French projectile over here.

Attachments

• IMG_0002 (2).jpg
    IMG_0002 (2).jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: