What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental grenade ID

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I can't remember if there is already a post about this grenade.
This example is exposed in France (Mills internal operation and plug of No5)
Regards

grenade 1.JPGgrenade 2.JPGgrenade 3 plug 5.JPG

It is a Belgian Roland grenade. The attached images show a variant held in a UK museum.

Attachments

• BM Collection 2 copy.jpg
    BM Collection 2 copy.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 51
  • BM Collection 1 copy.jpg
    BM Collection 1 copy.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 52
To put the Roland in context re size I put this photo together the other week as a comparison.

Roland through to Mills 36 - all the strikers.

Mills strikers plan.jpg

Roland, No 5, Dunkirk, No 5/23. No 23 Mk III and No 36.

Thanks guys, what I supposed.
I was a little disturbed by the different external fragmentation of known examples of Roland grenades (and the no 5 plug).

Millsman : I don't know if it's cast iron (maybe). Old picture of french museum

Last edited:
Millsman : I don't know if it's cast iron (maybe). Old picture of french museum

I only said that because there were a number of different Roland body styles and shapes with two different types of sectioned grenade. William Mills produced some sectioned Roland grenades when he was trying to sell it to various nations. These grenades were cast in aluminium. The one Tom (Snufkin) has put up in post #3 looks to be one of these, now located in the Birmingham museum. They date from January 1915 and show slight changes from the original Roland design.

Last edited: