What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Manufacture markings Canadian or U.S. ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
Does anyone know what companies these are and where ? I don't know if these companies made projectiles and or just casings so I will repeat this
in the projectile area.

CCo

CCCo

CCS

CCCo : Clinton Cartridge Co, USA
CCo : Canadian Cartridge Co
CCS : no info

Yoda

C.C.Co. - Could be Canadian Cement Co., Ltd., Montreal, Canada.

TimG

And I had Canadian Cartridge Company for CCCo, also for CSS (found as a web reference, but did not write down where)

C.C.Co. - Could be Canadian Cement Co., Ltd., Montreal, Canada.

This is quite a diversification from cement, is there any evidence of them making cases ?

Thanks to all who have answered , very helpful.

Hello Dandebur
I also have an interest in these case makers and lot number codes.
I notice CCS on 18Pr Mk11, CCo on 18Pr mk11 and 13Pr 11, CC on 18Pr 11 . I note inspector 6 & 8 in a circle.

A summary of my lot numbers and years for interest.

CCS 18Pr 11 FOV 1916 16-9-16
CCS JAD 1917 26 2 17
CCS JRI 1917 27 3 17
CCS KTQ 1917 26 4 17
CCS MFL 1917 13 6 17
CCS RKK 1917 22 11 17

CCo 18Pr 11 CFK 1916 5 11 16
CCo 18Pr 11 DJN 1917 23 3 17
CCo 13Pr 11 SH 1916 29 5 16
CCo 13Pr 11 UT 1916 10 6 16

CC 18Pr 11 EEI 1916 21 6 16

I hope this data helps any researchers.

Gordon,

Apologies, it would appear I posted in the wrong thread. Canadian Cement Co. made projectiles. Concentric 'C's on a headstamp can generally be taken as one of the variations of the Canadian Cartridge Company.

Ron,

The three letter string was long suspected as being some form of Lot identifier. Snufkin eventually decoded it, confirming it as a Lot designation.

TimG

Hello Ron
Thanks for your data, very helpfull.
It could be very great if you could join pictures of the headstamps.
As you have an interest for this maker, I will start a new thread for sharing what I have.
Dandebur.

I have had a request for the brief collation of data I have put together, so herewith a screenshot of an Excel worksheet of 18-Pr head stamp dates and Lot codes from the Canadian Cartridge Co. I have gleaned the data from photos and descriptions posted on BOCN and elsewhere.

Canadian Lot size was 400, give or take a few for various reasons of proof or surplus. The Lots were identified by incremental letter codes, starting with single letters A to Z around mid 1915, then incrementing through two letters AA to ZZ, and ultimately to three, AAA to whatever was reached by the end of hostilities.

A couple of Lots are seen to be out of order, perhaps because the Lots failed at some point of inspection and were sent back for reworking, but otherwise the incremental Lot coding with date is very evident when tabulated as shown.

If anyone wants a copy of the Excel worksheet so as to add their own details for their records, PM an email address and I will be happy to send the sheet.

On the screenshot, items in blue are from Ron's posting in this thread.

Any errors in transcription of dates and codes are mine.

Tom.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31