What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Obtaining Accurate WW2 British Projectile Measurements

Hello,

This is my first time posting on this Forum. I am trying to reproduce multiple WW2 British projectiles to complete my collection. Currently I am trying to obtain accurate measurements of the projectiles listed below. I would appreciate any information anyone would be able to help me with. I will be creating mechanical drawings from these measurements and I would need the dimensions to be accurate using a set of calipers if at all possible.

Also I am looking for a 17 pdr shell casing and projectile if anyone might have one they would be willing to sell.

As for the projectile measurements I am looking for: (I realize that there could be multiple options for each, however I am not picky on the variant as long as it is WW2)

25 pdr HE
25 pdr Smoke

17 pdr A.P.D.S
17 pdr AP
17 pdr HE

6 pdr A.P.D.S
6 pdr AP
6 pdr HE

2 Pdr AP

Thank you

I have a spare 17 pdr case in the US. I also have a spare 2 pdr AT gun case. I would not bother trying to reproduce the 2 pdr AP as they can be found in the US; at least one or two pop up for sale on ebay or Gunbroker each year. 17 pdr projectiles are near impossible to find in the US; I have two, and both came from the UK. The days of trying to get such things from the UK to the US are long gone due to customs inspections on both end. Don't forget, there was a Canadian 17pdr APDS projectile (that had a special case that no one has been able to find yet), and the most common 17 pdr projectile was the APCBC-T. 6 pdr cases can be found in the US as they were made in Canada. 25 pounder projectiles do show up in the US on occasion; my smoke and HE projectiles were found here.

Here is a 2pdr AP on ebay in the US.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...627909?hash=item3d9ae3d685:g:XoUAAOSwkEFd7ABW

I would think that you would like this also since it is in Canada and not hard to import.

http://www.collectorssource.com/ordnance/17-pounder-apcbc-ammunition-box.html

Last edited:
Measuring the diameters and length are easy, but radius of ogive is the hard one.

M8owner, Thank you for the response, would you be willing to sell your extra 2pdr and 17 pdr cases by chance? Please PM me if that is the case.

Also thank you for the links. I talk to Al from collectors source quite often, in fact they did just got a 6pdr APDS projectile in but they had to pay an arm and a leg for making just the projectile retail for $500.00 CAD. 25 pounder items have been rare for me to find, even Al mentioned the other day he has a couple open orders with the Artillery regiment association in Canada for anything they they can find, which has been nothing, everything is drying up. The reason I want reproduce drawings of these projectiles is to try and keep history alive and affordable for others to own and enjoy.

Hazord - Thank you also for your response.

As long as I get a straight on photo with the measurements I can pull the radius with my software and make it almost spot on +/- .5mm or so.

I just secured a British 6 pdr AP shot here in the US. I have been looking for that for some time. It is probably an exact match for the US AP shot which is rather easy to find with all the 57mm dummy rounds available. Al just recently supplied my 6 pdr APCBC-T projectile, and two 6pdr APDS rounds sold on ebay together about five years ago; I was able to secure those - only one remains with me. You might want to check out the plastic reproduction projectiles out of France. There is a thread on this site somewhere about those. My 17 pdr and 2 pdr cases are available for purchase.

Last edited:
I just secured a British 6 pdr AP shot here in the US. I have been looking for that for some time. It is probably an exact match for the US AP shot which is rather easy to find with all the 57mm dummy rounds available. Al just recently supplied my 6 pdr APCBC-T projectile, and two 6pdr APDS rounds sold on ebay together about five years ago; I was able to secure those - only one remains with me. You might want to check out the plastic reproduction projectiles out of France. There is a thread on this site somewhere about those. My 17 pdr and 2 pdr cases are available for purchase.

I also just purchased a complete 6 Pdr APCBC projectile and case from collector source a week ago, still waiting to receive it in the mail.

If you would like to email me thebattleofarnhem@gmail.com with the pricing for the 2 cases?