Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

White drill l2 training grenade

DSCN2070.jpgDSCN2071.jpgCan anyone tell me when the colour of British drill L2 grenades was changed from white to the light blue NATO colour so that I have an idea of this one's age please? I have been informed that this one is from the early 1960'sAt some stage all drill grens became light blue, white having been use since WW 1. I have seen L3's with a similar top.I believe both were replaced with the blue, rubber bodied L56 being more versatile and cheaper to make. This one is unusual in that it of a solid alloy.

Andy
    Ime the twat in the middle.

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Someone else here may have more accurate info. I would hazard a guess that colours changed in about 1964 to conform with NATO standards.
    Any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by eod personel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AMMOTECHXT For This Useful Post:

gothica7 (10th January 2020)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMOTECHXT View Post
    Someone else here may have more accurate info. I would hazard a guess that colours changed in about 1964 to conform with NATO standards.
    Thanks bud, that just about clears this one up for me as I was
    told it was early 60's,

Andy
    Ime the twat in the middle.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    looks like same item in pic in last post on this page (though w/fuse assembly): http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...-L3-PRAC-grens

cap is that used on L3A3 PRAC (body of which was painted light blue). L3 and L4 PRACs used sheet metal bodies (as did the 'live' L2 grens) w/simulated HE filling - solid alloy body only came in w/the L28A1 drill gren, so this is unusual. I'd guess it was an early/trials PRAC (from end of era when they were painted white), before L3 PRACs (which were painted light blue) were introduced?
    always looking for inert baton rounds and accessories - please message me if you have any for sale/trade.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to batonroundcollector For This Useful Post:

gothica7 (11th January 2020)