What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White drill l2 training grenade

gothica7

Premium Member
DSCN2070.jpgDSCN2071.jpgCan anyone tell me when the colour of British drill L2 grenades was changed from white to the light blue NATO colour so that I have an idea of this one's age please? I have been informed that this one is from the early 1960'sAt some stage all drill grens became light blue, white having been use since WW 1. I have seen L3's with a similar top.I believe both were replaced with the blue, rubber bodied L56 being more versatile and cheaper to make. This one is unusual in that it of a solid alloy.

Andy

Someone else here may have more accurate info. I would hazard a guess that colours changed in about 1964 to conform with NATO standards.

Someone else here may have more accurate info. I would hazard a guess that colours changed in about 1964 to conform with NATO standards.
Thanks bud, that just about clears this one up for me as I was
told it was early 60's,

Andy

looks like same item in pic in last post on this page (though w/fuse assembly): http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/99510-Brit-L28A1-L4A1-and-L4A2-DRILL-L3-PRAC-grens

cap is that used on L3A3 PRAC (body of which was painted light blue). L3 and L4 PRACs used sheet metal bodies (as did the 'live' L2 grens) w/simulated HE filling - solid alloy body only came in w/the L28A1 drill gren, so this is unusual. I'd guess it was an early/trials PRAC (from end of era when they were painted white), before L3 PRACs (which were painted light blue) were introduced?