What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.75 inch chaff rocket?

Magii

In the course of my research, I found a reference to 2.75 inch chaff rockets in the AH-1S manual (page 170 of PDF) from 1980
https://i.imgur.com/G3QWpAj.jpg

Further research found a paper on DTIC mentioning a chaff warhead as a future development of the 2.75 inch system.
https://i.imgur.com/zX3SHKA.jpg

And then recently I found the 1979 US Army Aviation Digest that actually has a picture of it in an article series on the modernized Cobra
https://i.imgur.com/xPtPgRS.jpg

I am curious if anyone else has any further information on the warhead, its designation, or why it never actually entered service.

Magii,
I have no documents relating to the 2.75 FFAR chaff warhead, and I know very little about the AH-1S in the '80s, but I can ascertain that the subject rocket DID enter US service, in the USAF, and was being RETIRED by mid to late '70s. In my Munitions Maintenance Squadron, we had the 2.75in rocket with the chaff warhead for mounting on and launching from the B-52G as another countermeasure. Apparently there were some problems, from anecdotal evidence, in that at altitude the rockets could freeze in the launch tube, and upon firing, the rocket motor's own heat would thaw it loose, but then the performance would be degraded, allegedly resulting in the warhead functioning too close to the launch aircraft. While the chaff payload was small, it was not what the pilot would want detonating too close to the aircraft, with the chaff possibly being ingested into the engine, esp. at the critical phase of his mission.

Magii,
I have no documents relating to the 2.75 FFAR chaff warhead, and I know very little about the AH-1S in the '80s, but I can ascertain that the subject rocket DID enter US service, in the USAF, and was being RETIRED by mid to late '70s. In my Munitions Maintenance Squadron, we had the 2.75in rocket with the chaff warhead for mounting on and launching from the B-52G as another countermeasure. Apparently there were some problems, from anecdotal evidence, in that at altitude the rockets could freeze in the launch tube, and upon firing, the rocket motor's own heat would thaw it loose, but then the performance would be degraded, allegedly resulting in the warhead functioning too close to the launch aircraft. While the chaff payload was small, it was not what the pilot would want detonating too close to the aircraft, with the chaff possibly being ingested into the engine, esp. at the critical phase of his mission.
Yeah, the ADR-8.

The Army version isn't ADR-8. ADR-8 was out of service by 1970, which the Army chaff rocket was from the late 70s as part of a larger update to the entire 2.75 inch system.