What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian RGD-5 markings

And what do you think about this two? Light green colour with black hand made markings. The word "inert" looks to be different between the two grenades?! Caucasias?1-rgd-5-01 ИНЕРТНЫЙ 583 Saransk factory.jpg

And what do you think about this two? Light green colour with black hand made markings. The word "inert" looks to be different between the two grenades?! Caucasias?

Both variants on Russian, but word 'Инетная' in two different cases. I think it is just variations.

And what do you think about this two? Light green colour with black hand made markings. The word "inert" looks to be different between the two grenades?! Caucasias?

You still see the original base color underneath it. They just used different stencils for marking. Keep in mind, the reworking into inert grenades was not done at a huge factory, but more like at a large depot workshop.

Only Russian letters and words were permissible on ordnance. This was stipulated in several state standards. Even if manufacture was done in a Soviet republic with a recognized "folkloristic" language other than Russian.

Only Russian letters and words were permissible on ordnance. This was stipulated in several state standards. Even if manufacture was done in a Soviet republic with a recognized "folkloristic" language other than Russian.

Both words on common russian language, without any "folkloristic".

Both words on common russian language, without any "folkloristic".

I have never said anything to the contrary:)

инертная / инертный is the same word - just different grammatical gender

Last edited:
Are there ways to tell the difference between a grenade that was manufactured inert and one that was inerted for training?

Joe

every inerted 'live' RGD-5 I've seen has had holes drilled through body (though unsure if these were inerted in Russian/by other user nation's service or by foreign EOD) and I've been told they can't be inerted without doing so, though I'm not sure why (unless filler is completely sealed inside sheet metal body - and assuming det will puncture this where it makes contact in fuze well - and can't be removed otherwise)??

They can be emptied without drilling, it just takes more time, mechanical skill and patience than a lot of people are willing to exhibit. These were done in DS.

15800020990242085030307439937959.jpg
15800022313454954065037200935240.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Ivashkin. I knew they were Bulgarian, but the prior post was that batonroundcollector had been told the contents of the RGD-5's could not be emptied unless you drilled holes. These were just demonstrating that holes were not necessarily needed, since most RGD-5's are constructed the same.

Thanks, Ivashkin. I knew they were Bulgarian, but the prior post was that batonroundcollector had been told the contents of the RGD-5's could not be emptied unless you drilled holes. These were just demonstrating that holes were not necessarily needed, since most RGD-5's are constructed the same.

The most interesting, that manual about deactivating different munitions does not talk anything about deactivating grenades (RGD-5, F-1 or RG-42), but in table about deactivation has notes about UZRGM and Koveshnikov fuzes.
Probably exists special instruction for doing this kind of work.