Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 91 Times in 49 Posts
    I agree with ron3350 that it is Russian. The same info shown from Fragman has misled me because Estonian has not Cyrillic but Latin characters. And someone can tell me about the Є inscribed in the rhumbus ? Is it a Ukranian Cyrillic character ?

  2. #12
    Ordnance Approved
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    730
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 138 Times in 77 Posts
    Hi. Around the time when I brought the instructional RGD 5, there was a bit of a discussion on it and similarly marked RGD-5s
    http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...ighlight=Vasar
    http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/36176-RGD-5-information-required?
    Back then the link to the Vasar website showed ordnance and other similar items. Cheers
    Last edited by Fragman; 19th January 2020 at 09:41 AM.
    any live or recovered ordnance shown in my posts was recovered and dealt with accordingly by trained EOD personel

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvollenberg View Post
    How about factory 1418? Any ideas on that one?

    Joe
    As Ivan mentions, though his transliteration is different from mine, as the town its near is Khimik (Химик). The 'Х' is only transliterated as 'Ch' in a very old standard. I tend to stick with BGN/PCGN (United States Board on Geographic Names/Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use) standard and did for all entries when I worked at Jane's.

    Note about Factory 1418 in attached image (screen grab).

    Untitled.png

  4. #14
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    643
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 352 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco_Dif View Post
    I agree with ron3350 that it is Russian. The same info shown from Fragman has misled me because Estonian has not Cyrillic but Latin characters. And someone can tell me about the Є inscribed in the rhumbus ? Is it a Ukranian Cyrillic character ?
    No, it is normal russian letter Э. In Ukrainian language uses Є, as you wrote.
    During Soviet time were using Russian alphabet letters for marking. That`s why marking of the renovating base in Estonia also should be Cyrillic letters, no Latin.
    You are right, that Estonian language has Latin alphabet, but in 1940-1991 country was part of USSR and on munition marking also was by Cyrillic.
    I do not have information about renovating or producing RGD-5 on some base Vasar in Estonia with marking L under ^. I see information about this grenade only on Lex web-site. Marking of Soviet Vasar`s RGD-5 looks like standard triangle ^ with rust. Of course, it is only my opinion.
    Could be that since 1995 (or earlier?) Estonian factory Vasar was producing inert RGD-5, for which Artur Salus showed wooden box and grenade body with exactly Vasar marking.
    Unfortunatly in album of RGD-5 blueprints no types of plants marking and difficult to tell who and what was doing and producing.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivashkin For This Useful Post:

    Francesco_Dif (20th January 2020)

  6. #15
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    643
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 352 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggburt1969 View Post
    As Ivan mentions, though his transliteration is different from mine, as the town its near is Khimik (Химик). The 'Х' is only transliterated as 'Ch' in a very old standard. I tend to stick with BGN/PCGN (United States Board on Geographic Names/Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use) standard and did for all entries when I worked at Jane's.
    Note about Factory 1418 in attached image (screen grab).
    Yes, my mistake and it is Khimik. Note, that no information about renovating RGD-5 on that base (in my source too), but as we see it was! And another names of directors of that base.

  7. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivashkin View Post
    Yes, my mistake and it is Khimik. Note, that no information about renovating RGD-5 on that base (in my source too), but as we see it was! And another names of directors of that base.
    For more info on Soviet-era numbered factories, try here.

    https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/econom...rison/vpk/data

    It's a work in progress by the way, but undoubtedly helpful when researching Russsian factories.

    The markup details on the inert RGD-5 grenade with the 1418 factory code doesn't match that of the other greandes, or what's in the manual. Most are 'factory' - 'batch number' - 'year' (номер завода - номер партии - год снаряжения), whereas the 1418 version is 'batch number' - 'year' - 'factory'?

    RGD-5 markup details.png

  8. #17
    Ordnance Approved
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    F.R.G.
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 58 Times in 29 Posts
    I'd say that facility 1418 never actually produced RGD-5s. It is more likely that they just took surplus RGD-5 grenades and reworked them into inert training ammo.
    Last edited by Songun 4.25; 20th January 2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Any Live or recovered ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by trained EOD personnel

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 91 Times in 49 Posts
    So Ivashkin do you think it is a normal cyrillic "Z" and not the cyrillic/Ukranian "E". Maybe indicating the factory where the body was made? And the Triangle printed is the place where the grenade was filled?

  10. #19
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    643
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 352 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco_Dif View Post
    So Ivashkin do you think it is a normal cyrillic "Z" and not the cyrillic/Ukranian "E". Maybe indicating the factory where the body was made? And the Triangle printed is the place where the grenade was filled?
    No-no, it is letter Э (Latinic E), not З (Latinic Z)
    It is index of the plant, what produces body. It is plant Elektroinstrument (Электроинструмент), town Nazran (Назрань)

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivashkin For This Useful Post:

    Francesco_Dif (21st January 2020)

  12. #20
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    643
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 352 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Songun 4.25 View Post
    I'd say that facility 1418 never actually produced RGD-5s. It is more likely that they just took surplus RGD-5 grenades and reworked them into inert training ammo.

    Yes, thet were not producing RGD-5, definitely. For example, they were renovating it (fixed paint) and probably reworked them to inert versions, probably. Like and PG-7 and PG-9 grenades.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top