What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian RGD-5 markings

Hi. This may be of some help. Cheers

Attachments

• F2251476-085F-49EA-9069-97B11C7276EB.jpeg
    F2251476-085F-49EA-9069-97B11C7276EB.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 49
Fragman
If it is Estonian , is that a different symbol of an L under an inverted V?
The symbol on the grenades in question are either made or loaded in Russia by Krasnozavodsk Chemical Factory.
This factory loaded mortars, grenades , flares etc.

Can someone of Russian language can tell me from where these grenades comes from, relaying just on the markings?

Triangle ^ is marking for plant No 11 or Krasnozavodsky chemical plant (Краснозаводский химический завод or КХЗ, on russian language). This plant was producing fuyes UYRGM and UYRGM'2 and also filling grenades RGD-5 etc.

I agree with ron3350 that it is Russian. The same info shown from Fragman has misled me because Estonian has not Cyrillic but Latin characters. And someone can tell me about the Є inscribed in the rhumbus ? Is it a Ukranian Cyrillic character ?

How about factory 1418? Any ideas on that one?

Joe

As Ivan mentions, though his transliteration is different from mine, as the town its near is Khimik (Химик). The 'Х' is only transliterated as 'Ch' in a very old standard. I tend to stick with BGN/PCGN (United States Board on Geographic Names/Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use) standard and did for all entries when I worked at Jane's.

Note about Factory 1418 in attached image (screen grab).

Untitled.png

I agree with ron3350 that it is Russian. The same info shown from Fragman has misled me because Estonian has not Cyrillic but Latin characters. And someone can tell me about the Є inscribed in the rhumbus ? Is it a Ukranian Cyrillic character ?

No, it is normal russian letter Э. In Ukrainian language uses Є, as you wrote.
During Soviet time were using Russian alphabet letters for marking. That`s why marking of the renovating base in Estonia also should be Cyrillic letters, no Latin.
You are right, that Estonian language has Latin alphabet, but in 1940-1991 country was part of USSR and on munition marking also was by Cyrillic.
I do not have information about renovating or producing RGD-5 on some base Vasar in Estonia with marking L under ^. I see information about this grenade only on Lex web-site. Marking of Soviet Vasar`s RGD-5 looks like standard triangle ^ with rust. Of course, it is only my opinion.
Could be that since 1995 (or earlier?) Estonian factory Vasar was producing inert RGD-5, for which Artur Salus showed wooden box and grenade body with exactly Vasar marking.
Unfortunatly in album of RGD-5 blueprints no types of plants marking and difficult to tell who and what was doing and producing.

As Ivan mentions, though his transliteration is different from mine, as the town its near is Khimik (Химик). The 'Х' is only transliterated as 'Ch' in a very old standard. I tend to stick with BGN/PCGN (United States Board on Geographic Names/Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use) standard and did for all entries when I worked at Jane's.
Note about Factory 1418 in attached image (screen grab).

Yes, my mistake and it is Khimik. Note, that no information about renovating RGD-5 on that base (in my source too), but as we see it was! And another names of directors of that base.

Yes, my mistake and it is Khimik. Note, that no information about renovating RGD-5 on that base (in my source too), but as we see it was! And another names of directors of that base.

For more info on Soviet-era numbered factories, try here.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/staff/mharrison/vpk/data

It's a work in progress by the way, but undoubtedly helpful when researching Russsian factories.

The markup details on the inert RGD-5 grenade with the 1418 factory code doesn't match that of the other greandes, or what's in the manual. Most are 'factory' - 'batch number' - 'year' (номер завода - номер партии - год снаряжения), whereas the 1418 version is 'batch number' - 'year' - 'factory'?

RGD-5 markup details.png

I'd say that facility 1418 never actually produced RGD-5s. It is more likely that they just took surplus RGD-5 grenades and reworked them into inert training ammo.

Last edited:
So Ivashkin do you think it is a normal cyrillic "Z" and not the cyrillic/Ukranian "E". Maybe indicating the factory where the body was made? And the Triangle printed is the place where the grenade was filled?

So Ivashkin do you think it is a normal cyrillic "Z" and not the cyrillic/Ukranian "E". Maybe indicating the factory where the body was made? And the Triangle printed is the place where the grenade was filled?
No-no, it is letter Э (Latinic E), not З (Latinic Z)
It is index of the plant, what produces body. It is plant Elektroinstrument (Электроинструмент), town Nazran (Назрань)

I'd say that facility 1418 never actually produced RGD-5s. It is more likely that they just took surplus RGD-5 grenades and reworked them into inert training ammo.

Yes, thet were not producing RGD-5, definitely. For example, they were renovating it (fixed paint) and probably reworked them to inert versions, probably. Like and PG-7 and PG-9 grenades.

For more info on Soviet-era numbered factories, try here.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/staff/mharrison/vpk/data

It's a work in progress by the way, but undoubtedly helpful when researching Russsian factories.
I use russian language file.

The markup details on the inert RGD-5 grenade with the 1418 factory code doesn't match that of the other greandes, or what's in the manual. Most are 'factory' - 'batch number' - 'year' (номер завода - номер партии - год снаряжения), whereas the 1418 version is 'batch number' - 'year' - 'factory'?
Yes, it is looks strange. Why this type of marking I do not know. It is inert and probably was not serous rules of marking like for live grenades.
In blueprints only standard marking, nothing about another type.

Last edited: