What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm APFSDS-T M735 ?

I recently aquired this from another forum with out any information. Is my guess correct? Dart from the M735 round? The only ink marking visible is " T ? 8 2 ? ? ? ". The dart is 19" long, body is 1.390" diameter. The TM states a steel nickel body with a tungsten core. All information and thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 38
Very nice! It is indeed the sub-projectile dart from a US made, 105mm M735 APFSDS-T round. It is fitted with a Tungsten core and is the first US adopted and type classified 105mm APFSDS round used in the M68 Gun ion our M1 Abrams MBT's. After the M735, came the DU cored M774, then M833 then finally the M900. After that, the US upgraded to the M1A1 MBT fitted with the 120mm smooth bore M256 gun system.

Jason
PS: The correct case for the M735 is the M148A1B1 steel case utilizing an ELEC M120 primer

Last edited:
PdXkUmcn1_I.jpg

M735 uses tungsten core(WHA), DU was only experimental as far as i know

Like the drawing says, Tungsten core, not DU! The military dismantled a number of 735 projectiles about 20 years ago, and the darts have been fairly easy to find from many sources.

There were a number of M60 tanks which were also outfitted with the 105mm M68 gun, and a number of them were used in the first Gulf War.

Last edited:
YES! 100% TUNGSTEN. I made a typo above. There was aDU M735E1, but it was never adopted.

Jason

Wol, where'd you get that from?

PM me if you like.
PM not nessecary as I have a story to get out. Firstly, as Hazord stated, these were fairly common years ago but price has jumped up making them not common at an affordable price ( hundred bucks). I bought it from a " picker", cleans out delinquent storage units. I have a 120mm , range pick up from Graffenworh? ....nice companion example. Anyway story is I mailed a US inert, empty WW2 mine to a museum in Italy, two months later I received a letter from US Customs with a court appearance date in Miami....they confiscated it. Appear in Federal court in Miami to plead my case or confiscation or jail. I had no choice but to let them keep it. Buyer and seller ( me ) lost. Lesson, OUT GOING packages from the US are monitored , I no longer ship overseas.

It's not necessarily the fact that you shipped outside the U.S.. It's because it was a mine. Since the Ottawa treaty was signed, trafficking in mines, or inert repros is illegal. Even selling to Government Agencies is extremely hard.