What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British number 1 grenade query

SG500

Premium Member
The detonator holder on the British number 1 mk 1 grenade is secured to the body of the grenade by 3 very small screws.
The photograph is taken from the design drawing, but I can't make out the detail, apart from "60 threads per inch RH". Just need to know what size screw it is.
Can anyone help please.
Thanks.
Dave.

IMG_4125.jpg

SG500, Sorry I cant help with your query but my No1 has 2 small lugs. Any idea what Mk number this makes mine?

Thanks

JohnP

I can't think where you could get such screws these days except perhaps in the clock and watch market. Tiny!

SG500 your drawing appears to show .081” major diameter, .075” minor diameter, and 60 TPI.

That is very close to 8BA size, which is .0866” major diameter, .0664” minor diameter, and 59.17 TPI. It is possible that 8BA might work, and you can get BA screws from a model engineering supplier such as
https://www.glrkennions.co.uk/ba-steel-roundhead.html

mvc-165s.jpg

Dave . Thought I had some . After a long search today I found them ! I thought they might have an equivalent BA size as well as they are dome topped . I'll pop these in the post for you . Mike

Possibly - No. 80 Whitworth Instrument Thread .080" x 60 tpi. (47.5 deg.)

TimG

Thanks for all your replies guys very much appreciate.
Mike you're a star, thank you.
Dave.

SG500, Sorry I cant help with your query but my No1 has 2 small lugs. Any idea what Mk number this makes mine?

Thanks

JohnP

John P. Most No 1's have those lugs . They are to secure the det. into the top plate & that's the part secured to the body on very early models with the 3 screws . The det. holder has a flange with 2 offset slots that rotate into those lugs thus keeping it in place . Hope this helps . Mike

Evening Dave,

Here are a couple of photos. Unfortunately I haven't got the streamers on this but I do have them on my Mk2.

No1.jpgNo1 Lugs 1.jpgNo1 Lugs 2.jpg

Regards

John P

John P. Most No 1's have those lugs . They are to secure the det. into the top plate & that's the part secured to the body on very early models with the 3 screws . The det. holder has a flange with 2 offset slots that rotate into those lugs thus keeping it in place . Hope this helps . Mike

Here's a photo of the plate with three screws.

RSCN3607.JPG