What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bayonet Fencing or Practice Staff with rope ends ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
I am looking for a period image or other image or issue information
for this training device. basically it is a long staff 6' roughly.
It has a rope wound loop at one end and and a rope
wrapped plain end at the other. I believe the person with the rifle and bayonet are
supposed to put the bayonet through the loop while avoiding being creamed by the other end.
I recall seeing an image of this (Canadian Valcartier perhaps & posed) but cannot find it now.
This item was likely a locally produced item to War Dept specs. If any one has any information
I would be pleased to see it.

"Parrying Stick"

Here it is, 69" in length ~

The short descriptions are from an American 1917 reprint of the British 1916 manual. There seems to be some variation as these were made up as required (as were dummies and other targets etc) and
the one illustrated does have that home made look for sure ~

The greatest care should be taken that the object representing the opponent and its support should be incapable of injuring the bayonet or butt. Only light sticks (the parrying stick here referred to is shown in plates) must be used for parrying practice.

For the “thrust” and “parrying” exercises a light stick, 5 feet to 5 feet 6 inches long and ¾ to 1 inch in diameter, must be provided for every two men.

7. All sticks must be padded at one end.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (3).jpg
    IMG_0001 (3).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.32.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.32.47 PM.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.33.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.33.10 PM.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator: