What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Welsh-Berry Grenade.

ron3350

This is another hard to find grenade. The Welsh-Berry is a jam-pot tin grenade and I have only found two of them. I kept the better inner tin and noted it seemed a millimeter or two larger diameter than the one it replaced. Maybe there were some variations in production. The tab does not close as well as the original one.

Some of the label is missing so I left it in a loose condition for inspection.
Dimensions are said to be 2" diameter and 2 1/2" high.
My dimensions are approximately 66mm high. 54mm wide. 118mm high with fuze cover. 13mm fuze cover diameter. Remember my grenade is loosened, not tight.
The inner tin has a lid which is 22mm high.

The outer tin jacket fits into the slot and I guess the end may be bent over to keep it tight? No sign of any tar or metal bits inside, all empty.

Welsh-Berry Grenade from Lynn.jpegWelsh-Berry 1.jpegWelsh-Berry 2.jpegWelsh-Berry 3.jpegWelsh-Berry 4.jpegWelsh-Berry 5.jpeg

I agree. The other one was only the centre tin with igniter cover. I identified it from my example and swapped the centre tins.
It now resides in another collection- the owner reckons my Welsh-Berry is the best grenade in my collection. Each to their own I guess. Glad to share the photos. Ron.