What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre WW1 French Beehive?

Millsman

Premium Member
Fuzes are not my area but this one looks pre WW1. I've not seen a beehive like it. It has holes marked 1-30 and on the edge below the beehive it had a short scale 0-10.

On the top retaining cap it has 4 85

So could this be Franco Prussian war era?

Any help would be appreciated.

John

SSCN3888.JPGSSCN3889.JPG

Looking on the lower part of your fuze, I think you have a 30/55 Mle 1882

Yoda

Attachments

• 30_55 Mle 1881-82.jpg
    30_55 Mle 1881-82.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 64
Yoda, what is the complete title of this book "... de pyrotechnie militaire" ?

I think we are both talking about the same fuze because the 30/55 Mle 1880 was adopted in 1882 to replace the Henriet fuze.

S.

Last edited:
Yes that looks right. Could they have been used after 1914?

I can't correctly answer to your question, but I think NO. The french have developed other models of time fuzes with or without impact systems.

Yoda

Yoda, what is the complete title of this book "... de pyrotechnie militaire" ?

I think we are both talking about the same fuze because the 30/55 Mle 1880 was adopted in 1882 to replace the Henriet fuze.

S.

I don't known the name of the book, I have a large number of digital extracts without knowing the title of the book where they come from.
Sorry !

Yoda

I can't correctly answer to your question, but I think NO. The french have developed other models of time fuzes with or without impact systems.

Yoda

Many thanks for your help on this thread. The fuze was thought to have been dug up on the Somme, but this is probably unlikely.

John

Hello,

We often find obsolete fuzes from 1880's on ww1 battelfields. French Army need lot of fuzes so old stocks were used.

sgdbdr : the plate is from the book : "Ecole Centrale de Pyrotechnie Militaire - Fusées pour projectiles creux." (1883).
The fuze is designated "modèle 1882"

Hello,

We often find obsolete fuzes from 1880's on ww1 battelfields. French Army need lot of fuzes so old stocks were used.

sgdbdr : the plate is from the book : "Ecole Centrale de Pyrotechnie Militaire - Fusées pour projectiles creux." (1883).
The fuze is designated "modèle 1882"

Excellent - Very many thanks

mvc-171s.jpgmvc-172s.jpg

I wondered what those fuzes were . I have a pair of trench art candlesticks made from similar ones & I suppose they are probably WW1 . You live & learn . Thanks everyone ! Siegfreid

btw, I have a pair of mint WW1 French 75mm beehive fuzes - one of them still wrapped in (lead?) foil... what are these worth (as a pair)? don't know much about or collect fuzes but these caught my eye many years ago... thanks!

thumbnail_img_1415.jpg