What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assorted Boxes used by Australia.

ron3350

Here is a collection of ammo boxes used by Australian Forces.
Photos from a militaria shop to show UK and other members the markings.
3.5" Practice Rocket. 30mm Defa. 76/62. 81mm Mortar. 105mm How. No162 Mortar Fuzes.

3.5" Prac Rocket.jpeg30mm Defa Prac.jpeg76:62 Diehl.jpeg81mm Mortar A.jpeg81mm Mortar B.jpeg

Attachments

• 105mm H A.jpeg
    105mm H A.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 105mm H B.jpeg
    105mm H B.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 105mm H C.jpeg
    105mm H C.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 33
  • No162 Mortar Fuzes.jpeg
    No162 Mortar Fuzes.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 42
On the 30mm DEFA, presumably the two 'iron banded' projectiles perform a de-coppering action?

The H51, No. 162 fuzes is actually British, filled ROF Thorpe Arch (TH).

TimG

Thanks Tim. I did say used by Australia.
The two iron banded Defa are for de-coppering.
The 66 means Australia and is noted on the Defa tin and Diehl wooden box.
The Defa tin also has MY-81 and MA-79 on the side. St.Mary's and Lithgow.

30mm Defa Tin.jpeg

The British 162 fuze box is marked on the bottom. R&H.W.Ltd 1956. Who is this maker.
I ended up buying the riot grenade box and this fuze box. They take up a lot of floor space.
Tim. The H51 reference. I can only see SV58SA near the handle.

Box Wood H51 was originally designed as a small arms package, hence the drawing number SV58SA on the handle. Two of these were packed in a Box Steel H50 which was introduced in the latter part of WWII as 'Package Universal Small arms'.
The H51 is so handy and of a reasonable size that it eventually was used for other things.
In this instance, to contain Fuzes No 162 Mk 4. The Mk 4 fuze was only for use with Bombs ML 3" Mortar HE or Smoke Bursting WP. It was not for use with 4.2" Mortar.

R & HW - R. & H. Wale Ltd., Gamlingay, Nr Sandy, Beds.

Im194603BTJ-Wale.jpg

On the subject of NSNs, I make the one on the DEFA can as 1305-66-040-1080, which I was surprised to find is no trace, likewise the one shown on your grenade box.

TimG

R & HW - R. & H. Wale Ltd., Gamlingay, Nr Sandy, Beds.

View attachment 157681

On the subject of NSNs, I make the one on the DEFA can as 1305-66-040-1080, which I was surprised to find is no trace, likewise the one shown on your grenade box.

TimG

If the NSN is Obsolete it is not likely to be included in later publications.

Fun fact. Australian government officials have a sense of hmour. The reason for Australia using 66 as a National Identifier? It's 99 (UK) upside down! :D