What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1917 dated 'ammunition' box No.3

starshell

Premium Member
Help! 1917 dated 'ammunition' box No.3

IMG_4934.jpgIMG_4935.jpgIMG_4936.jpgIMG_4937.jpgIMG_4938.jpgIMG_4939.jpgIMG_4934.jpgIMG_4935.jpgIMG_4936.jpgIMG_4937.jpgIMG_4938.jpgIMG_4939.jpg

Good evening gents,

Tapping into the extensive knowledge here to see if anyone can identify this 1917 dated box insofar as what it might have contained?

It measures:

26.25" Length
13.50" Depth
13" Height

It is stamped: G.S Ltd No.3 1 (above) 1917
On the base is stamped 96 or 69

Two shallow circular holes are machined into the inside if the hinged lid.

(Apologies for the duplicate images, not sure what happened there...)

Would appreciated any pointers.
Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
There was a Box No 3 Mk1 but its dimensions were far different to yours,
although in construction it was very similar to yours, being similar to others of the period.

The other Box No 3 held 20 Rifle Grenades and 20 Detonators Rifle Grenade in tins.
It had 6 packing pieces (2 top, 2 centre and 2 bottom).
Box made of Yellow Deal with handle cleats made of Elm or other suitable hardwood.

It was 5.5" high.

Thanks AE501,
Like you I've seen fairly similar boxes but none of this size. I've done the web to death, but still no pointers.
A chap on the Great war forum had 4 identical boxes, but he also drew a blank as to what they might have contained.....

I've discovered a little triangle stamped into the edge with illegible letters inside it??

I'm completely stumped.

Thanks again.

Just to follow on with this, an identical box as mine had RCD stamped into it, giving the impression to the owner that it might have been related to or built by 'Royal carriage dept, Woolwich'? Whether this was Railway dept rolling stock carriages or Gun carriage equipment's I'm not sure.
What I know about this box is its wooden and dated 1917. I can't find a reference either to the possible manufacturer, nor can I find any reference on the web.
The 2 shallow circular cut outs might hold the clue?.....

* Further to this thread I have noticed the number '96 or 69 stamped into the base.
I've seen this on other differing boxes too. What does it signify, anyone? Code for something perhaps?

Any help much appreciated.
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: