What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval MK8 round

Rambogner

Hello guys, nice to meet you all!

I have a 1980's BRITISH 4.5 INCH MK N7 HE SHELL that is missing the fuze on top, does anyone have any idea what fuze I need to find to make it complete. Hours of scouring the internet hasn't been useful! It is the modern round, not the QF 4.5.

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
I can't read the second digit - CSR (Chief Superintendent Ranges) Proof of Fuze N9? Series.

TimG

Aaaah it is an N90! What other fuzes would fit this to complete? I know I am asking alot! Any idea where I could get one, N90 or other?

Last edited:
If it's an N7, then it's a 'Round 4.5 inch Mk8 SU Practice N7', so it's a practice HE-substitute and not an HE round: SU = surface use; and SUP = surface use practice. Going by an old Royal Ordnance catalogue I have, the fuze used was the 'Plug Representing Fuze N97'. See scan below.

Round 4.5 inch Mk8 SU Practice N7.jpg

If it's an N1, then it's a 'Round 4.5 inch Mk8 HE N1, it's fuze could have been the N97 Prox/PD. See scan below.

Round 4.5 inch Mk8 HE N1.jpg

Obviously the exact model of projectile and fuze, and modifications (A1, A2, etc.), will have changed over the years.

Last edited:
Sp it arrived recently.....anyone have any idea what I should use to clean the case up of the lower half. It seems to be very brown almost as if it has been coloured at some point, brasso didnt touch it! Here's a comparison with my 3.7 that I have a quick scrub!

having watched the proof of fuzes (which is what these blue shell marked as above) it is done by vertical firing on Salisbury Plain and the shell is recovered from deep in the ground which it enters base first. The fuze is intact as it has hit nothing and so can be inspected presumably to see if its armed its self. They also used to test fuzes of the proximity type in 105mm How at Shoeburyness for functioning by firing along the beach and 'listening' to it becoming active then firing as it gets close back to earth and air bursts.

having watched the proof of fuzes (which is what these blue shell marked as above) it is done by vertical firing on Salisbury Plain and the shell is recovered from deep in the ground which it enters base first. The fuze is intact as it has hit nothing and so can be inspected presumably to see if its armed its self. They also used to test fuzes of the proximity type in 105mm How at Shoeburyness for functioning by firing along the beach and 'listening' to it becoming active then firing as it gets close back to earth and air bursts.

Ah, Lavington. Yes, that's a unique experience. They elevate to near vertical, fire the gun and then you wait for the round to drop back to earth base first. I found it a quite disturbing experience.

Yes, the 105 mm at Shoeburyness/Foulness. Also the 4.5" at Foulness too, but not vertically.