What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap way to display headgear

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
I know its not ordnance but im sure members collect other stuff as well.
I have a small collection of headwear.
I found the stands i made were all a bit unstable then a couple of weeks ago i saw some plastic fish/cocktail bowls in my local poundshop.
Turned upside down i have found these perfect for displaying my lids,i think they look good and are very stable,fit well and at a £1 each a bargain,

1580486444067840100774.jpg1580486303928367214028.jpg15804863324151072165322.jpg

Another good stand if you are near a Tractor Trailer shop
is the piston out of an air bag. These get thrown out = free. The base is heavy
so you have great balance and stability, the shaft will fit a common nut and they have those to.
You can slide a copper pipe over them to extend them and painted black these
do not distract. Fitting some kind of top is not difficult styrofoam dome etc. to fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 53
Gordon,

The item you show in your photo, is the push rod out of an Air Brake (Spring Brake). When the Air Brake is actuated, a diaphragm pushes on the flat plate, pushing the rod to expand the brake pads.

Last edited:
One of the local helmet collectors uses paper towel stands, often on special at houseware shops. With the current craze of toilet paper hoarding there might be a few going spare.