What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 3.7 Inch Mortar - Random Question

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Is there such a thing as a US 3.7 inch mortar? Exactly the same as a US 4.2 inch, but just a smaller caliber?

Cheers

Pete

Is there such a thing as a US 3.7 inch mortar? Exactly the same as a US 4.2 inch, but just a smaller caliber?

Cheers

Pete

Not in my experience. Could be something experimental, but I'm not aware of it, especially similar to the 4.2".

Same here. We had the 3" and 4" Stokes in WWI, were testing a 47mm, both Brandt and American Armaments, I think a couple of 60mm's and 3"/75mm's and finally adopted the 81mm and 4.2". We did experiment and combat trial the 105mm and 155mm mortars. Never heard of a 3.7". We did have a 3.7" Field Gun around the turn of the century.

Same here. We had the 3" and 4" Stokes in WWI, were testing a 47mm, both Brandt and American Armaments, I think a couple of 60mm's and 3"/75mm's and finally adopted the 81mm and 4.2". We did experiment and combat trial the 105mm and 155mm mortars. Never heard of a 3.7". We did have a 3.7" Field Gun around the turn of the century.
As a correction, the US had a 3.8" Howitzer, not 3.7" Field gun.