What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US model 1918 12” railway

94thFS95

Premium Member
Hello all,
does anyone have any pictures of/ plate drawings of the US 12” railway and costal defense gun projectile types for the WWI era guns? I recently acquired a case for one (separate loading) and am looking for info on the projectiles.
thanks!
-Steve

The case mouth is just under 12”, the height is 43”. There are very few headstamp markings, but 1911 is among them. All are in the photo.
846F9435-C3B3-4DE0-8934-4D68C6D91355.jpegDCC9CFC8-2D36-4CDE-98B5-D99F9BAE92DA.jpeg

Unless that was a foreign purchase, I don't think that is US. Instead of a crown, the US would have used a flaming bomb or the ordnance wheel. Also the primer looks more German than US. That aside, I think the US Railway/Coastal guns were mostly bag guns, though I may be mistaken.

Last edited:
C12 primers were the standard percussion primers for most German artillery pre-WWI into the 1950's.

That is not a U.S. Headstamp. U.S. guns above 8 inch were bag guns. Nice looking case though. That primer might be live!