Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Monuments men Land mine

Watching the film Monuments men the other night and saw the scene where Matt Damian accidentally steps on a land mine but doesn't go off but is told not to step off it as it may explode. So the monuments team take his weight off the mine by placing bricks on the mine to counter his weight. When he steps off the mine it explodes but is not a full charge. Now being clued up in German mines the first question i would ask is why didn't the Germans booby trap the mines, especially when the stolen art couldn't be moved elsewhere and rather fall into allied hands, "if we can have them, nobody can" attitude killing those who attempt to retrieve them. The second bugging thing is that i have never heard of a mine fuze or type of mine where you activate it by standing on a mine where it explodes by removing your weight. In most mechanisms a mine is set off be one action downwards pressure, pull, release or chemical not downwards pressure and then release in a standard land mine. I can understand the delay where he steps off the mine and explodes about a second or two after but that is characteristic of a chemical mine fuze where the two chemicals react and flash to set of a detonator similar to a Buck ignighter as in some cases if not most a slight delay.
    Most land mines for vehicles have to have a fair bit of weight to set a mine off to break the shear wire. Most men in service back then were skinny and light not like us lardy lot today and could get away stepping on a land mine, unless he had a heavy pack or was carrying a heavy bit of kit like a PIAT etc.
    Or is this as i suspect a bit of usual Hollywood buls***t.

Thanks
    Hi @BMG50,
    as you rightly suspected, its the usual story-writers-bullsh. There is no minefuze like that in existence in any country. Many films have already used this nonexistent minefuze to dupe their viewers.
    Bellifortis.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellifortis For This Useful Post:

BMG50 (10th February 2020), wichitaslumlord (10th February 2020)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellifortis View Post
    Hi @BMG50,
    as you rightly suspected, its the usual story-writers-bullsh. There is no minefuze like that in existence in any country. Many films have already used this nonexistent minefuze to dupe their viewers.
    Bellifortis.
    IT WAS ON TV, IT HAS TO BE TRUTH!

Ad to this an expert RSP likethe one presented here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgKGCqFmwY

This should be tought in every EOD course :-)

Bob
    any live or recovered ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by trained EOD personnel

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 490 Posts
    It is called the "Hollywood mine", and does not exist. One can however fill five minutes of a film with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pzgr40 For This Useful Post:

Songun 4.25 (19th February 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pzgr40 View Post
    It is called the "Hollywood mine", and does not exist. One can however fill five minutes of a film with it.
    Not only 5 Minutes, but even a full length 90 minutes "Tatort" production. German filmmakers like to imitate Hollywood.

Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Revert back to Starshell and his recommendation "Land of mine"
    It puts it all into perspective.... a great but shocking film.

Thanks
    The Germans actually had mines that were equipped to be booby- trapped. Some of their Tellerminen (anti-tank dish mines) were fitted with fuzepockets for a zugzünder (pull-igniter) in their baseplate. This way, with an additional zugzünder fitted, the Tellerminen were provided with an "anti lifting" capacity, that would set the mine off when being lifted from it's burrow.
    With some imagination, German engineers could even "tie" two mines together for "extra effect". Wether or not this was ever done??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabob View Post
    IT WAS ON TV, IT HAS TO BE TRUTH!

Ad to this an expert RSP likethe one presented here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgKGCqFmwY

This should be tought in every EOD course :-)

Bob

That was painful to watch. I lost a good 10 IQ points before it was over.......

I do a yearly presentation on WW 2 to the 7th grade class of my sons former middle school. This was my 10th year presenting and I get some really good questions from the students (about 65 of them). This year, one asked about mines functioning only after you step off of it.
    I was grateful for the opportunity to dispel this Hollywood crap. While I was at it, I cleared the air about The Japanese bomb that has impacted the ground functioning only after the tail fuze propeller has stopped spinning, as seen in the 2001 Pearl Harbor movie.
    Another moment of cinematic suffering. Several of the students had seen the movie and thought this was how it worked.
    001.jpg003.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg