What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make Your Own Torpedo

M8owner

What do you do when you cannot find a torpedo to buy? You make one. This is 6 inches (150mm) in diameter and over 5 feet (1.5 meters in length). I have the contra rotating shafts and propellers worked out. I bought 4 inch diameter or 100mm brass model boat propellers with opposite pitch. I am still working out the issues on the gear box, electric motor, controls and batteries. I will also need to find a speed boat and design a launch tube. I will be conducting sealing and buoyancy tests in the local pool this week.

Attachments

• Torpedo Mark 1 tail2.jpg
    Torpedo Mark 1 tail2.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Torpedo Mark 1 tail.jpg
    Torpedo Mark 1 tail.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Torpedo Mark 1 nose.jpg
    Torpedo Mark 1 nose.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 78
  • Torpedo Mark 1 inside.jpg
    Torpedo Mark 1 inside.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Torpedo Mark 1.jpg
    Torpedo Mark 1.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 99
Whatever sinks your boat. That tail section looks like its built like a brick phonebooth! You should chamfer the leading edge.

That's for when you run into feral pigs swimming in your lake:wink:.

SUPER IMPRESSED, with your fabrication skills in so many mediums and the initiative to start this cool project. Can't wait to see how it develops. Just awesome!

Jason

I wish I also had your fabrication skills (and machinery!).........................
Guess I will have to wait until a "real" one pops up :tinysmile_cry_t2:

Having stated that, I have over the years stumble across sites selling the real McCoys - In the UK there was /is a scrap metal yard which had a couple of Russian torpedoes for sale several years back. Another UK based organisation had a number of early Whitehead torpedo motors (4-cylinder /3-cylinder Brotherhoods) plus a number of MKVIIIs for sale.

Also here downunder, one Mk VIII practice was sold when the Cowra War Museum closed about 2 years ago and got wind of another MkVIII in an interstate garage.

They are around - however too big to hid under the bed "out of sight" from the OTMBO!!!!

(I can sneak in and hid the fuzes ! LOL)

CHeers
Drew

I must note that this journey will not be inexpensive. I estimate that materials alone will run me $1000. Perhaps, in volume production, I might be able to sell them for $1000 each. I need to find rich yacht owners who want to equip their vessels with weaponry. Perhaps, the US or other Navies need high speed, inexpensive drones?

I can just see it on BOCN in 50 years time "ID please... WTF is this i've just bought" lol

It passed the sealing test. It did not take on a drop of water, and it has buoyancy to spare, but it is tail heavy. Now to design and build a gearbox. Then I will need a motor and batteries. Next up - speed trials.

I will also add that I am the cool guy at the pool now - more of an enhanced stature than a change, really. Also, the ladies water aerobics group seems much more interested in me now that they know the size of my torpedo.

I have not been able to work on this for over a year, but I am making good progress now. I will be doing propulsion trials soon. The propellers are contrarotating.

Attachments

• torpedo motors.jpg
    torpedo motors.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 52
  • torpedo propellers.jpg
    torpedo propellers.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 47
It is now ready for speed trials in the pool. I tested it in a two foot deep plastic tub for five minutes with no leaks. The motors do get hot, so a cooling system will be necessary for longer run times. It makes quite a portable industrial blender. You twist the nose to turn it on. It uses two 12 volt wheelchair batteries.

Attachments

• torpedo 1.jpg
    torpedo 1.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 28
  • torpedo nose switch.jpg
    torpedo nose switch.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 23
  • torpedo 2.jpg
    torpedo 2.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 22
  • torpedo 3.jpg
    torpedo 3.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 20
  • torpedo batteries.jpg
    torpedo batteries.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 23
Blown Away! Pun Intended! Your machining and engineering skills are off the charts. This is incredible!

Jason

The pool test was not a complete failure; I learned something. It is too heavy and sank to the bottom. I will have to remove weight and try again.