What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15 cm sFH 18 shell case

DAZ REICH

Recent pickup in nice condition, a nazi 15cm sFH 18 shell case as used in the heavy howitzer and Hummel spg, I have a few questions about them while doing my research if anyone can help.

Were these used more than once or were they throw away items being steel?

Are the stains on the sides scorch marks from when it was fired ?

Does anyone know what primer was fitted to these and was it the same type as fitted to the 10.5cm leFH as the holes look identical sizes on my cases.

DSCN2729.jpg

DSCN2727.jpg

Are the stains on the sides scorch marks from when it was fired ?

Hi Daz, purely a guess but if you're referring to the black marks near the mouth, I would have assumed any scorch marks would be even in appearance, if in fact scorch marks occur at all. My guess would be something else in storage -- happy to be wrong.

Recent pickup in nice condition, a nazi 15cm sFH 18 shell case as used in the heavy howitzer and Hummel spg, I have a few questions about them while doing my research if anyone can help.

Were these used more than once or were they throw away items being steel?

Your case is made of brass. Brass cases and those made of drawn steel were reused if possible. I don’t know if wrapped cases were reused.

Your case is made of brass. Brass cases and those made of drawn steel were reused if possible. I don’t know if wrapped cases were reused.

I am 99.9% sure this is brass plated steel, the inside of the case has rust inside of it.

I took a rare earth magnet to it, and

It did not stick in the slightest, I just had an eye piece on it and Greif is right (sorry mate and thanks) it looks like brass with a brass coloured lacquer on it, looks all original and you can see a more brass colour where is has come off, well that has shocked me, for the better too.

Yes, I have the same one (coming from Finland I guess) also with this gold laqcuer. Not sure if it is original german or maybe applied later by the finish army?

Last edited:
I am 99.9% sure this is brass plated steel, the inside of the case has rust inside of it.
You can tell from the case number 6350 that it is a brass case, because it lacked the suffix “St” which stands for Stahl = steel.