What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9.2 inch guide

womble

Hi all please see pic of a 9.2 inch guide, which I have had for quite some time, must have been used for quality control in the factory ! any further info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers

Womble

9.2 guide.jpg

It would appear to be a "Go - No go" gauge for the fuze socket. Although the length of the socket on this drawing is shown as 2.25", it also has no 'high' or 'low' limits shown.

TimG

9.2 Mk II.jpg

TimG

Thank you for the reply, with regards the Factory does anyone have any further details.

Cheers

Womble..

There were three Government Factories in Leeds that manufactured shells. The Armley factory, which was the first, appears to be the only one that was referred to as as National Shell Factory, NSF, the Hunslett and Newlay sites were referred to as National Projectile Factories, NPF. Added to this, they were also known as National Ordnance Factories.

I can find no trace of W & S Otley.

http://leeds.boocock.net/munitions-production-in-leeds/

TimG

Likely to be Waite and Saville Ltd, Falcon Works, Otley.

Made machine tools (lathes, millers, grinders, drills), jigs, gauges, fuze parts and tank bits.

Tom.

TimG and Snufkin

Thank you for your posts and info. tool guides are not really what I collect, this came with some other items that I wanted for my collection so had to buy as a job lot.

cheers

Womble

TimG and Snufkin

Sorry- further to my last post I forgot to add that although I do not really collect guides your info was very helpful and I posted this as it may have been of interest to other collectors on BOCN.

I also was not aware that there were as many factories around the Leeds area and the info was very interesting.

Cheers

Womble