What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75 x 157 mm German / British case. (Anglo Boer War)

Andy Naude

Please assist.

Found this interesting head stamp on a 75 x 157 mm case. Both the head stamp and the calibre are of interest. I could find no information on either. As the case was found in South Africa I am assuming that it was used in the Anglo Boer War.

Case length : 157 mm

Calibre : 75 mm

Rim : 90 mm

20200210_165144 (003).jpg

Could this be for the 15-Pdr Ehrhart gun? I know that that case should be about 169mm long, but perhaps your case has been cut down? Having both the "Broad Arrow" and the CF mark, it was quite clearly used by us. However, the only case I know of that comes close to your dimensions is a Skoda mountain gun, which I never knew we used!!

Roger.
Sorry , mis-read your length figure. More likely to be 2.95-inch Mountain Gun, which was, I think, a Vickers product, but why use a German case?

R.

Last edited:
Case in Question: Case length: 157 mm Cal: Now that the case mouth has been straightened: 76 mm Rim : 90 mm

15 pounder : Case length : 169 mm Cal : 76.2mm Rim: 89 mm

2.95 : Case length: 159 mm Cal: 75 mm Rim : 87 mm

I think the 2.95 is ruled out on calibre and rim. Any other thoughts?

Normally I would think it is a cut down and re-used 77x230R91 Fieldkanone model 1896. Maybe the rim has been trimmed to fit a certain British gun? Head stamp is JULI (not English, typical for German made cases) while CF indicates Commonwealth usage.