What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zz 1505 *

Bever

Premium Member
Steel body & thread , messingscheibe , 1943

Marked ZZ 1505 *

What is the meaning of the * in this fuze? & also , is there a specific reason for , or adaptation to it and/or its use ?

Thank you

D1BFEA64-ECF5-4B4B-A436-DC2C1C1C86F3.jpgC4C372B5-7228-44E9-B13C-449054046FE1.jpg

In WW-1 the * means by two types of base fuzes that the detonator in a percussion pellet was special protected. And on some nose fuze a star means that the detonator was of superior quality.

So maybe the * has something the do with the detonator.

It appears the * represents a variant from the non* version.

The only WW2 related reference I could find is:

Bd Z 5103:
Bodenzunder 5103, This was fitted with an extremely simple graze mechanism that was held in in the safe position by a shear wire. A tracer was carried in the base.

Bd Z 5103*:
Bodenzunder 5103*, This, similar to the previous pattern, omitted the pyrotechnic delay unit that was fitted to the 5103

Cheers
D

And on some nose fuze a star means that the detonator was of superior quality.

The allied documents are not 100% correct about the star symbol. In army manuals "*" and "o" marking is translated as "improofed detonators". But manufacturing documents are telling the full truth: The "*" and "o" are both indicating that the fuzes have shock-proof detonators. The Dopp.Z.96 n/A was not affected by this change because it had the shock proof detonators since the beginning of production because only detonators of Dreyse & Collenbusch were used. The "*" / "o" markings came on 22.06.1915 and one week later for easier recognition of these fuzes the fuze caps had to be painted red. The order stated: "The caps must be in a good adhering red color but they don't need to be beautiful" :) The fuzes for 105 mm howitzers already had red caps with a different meaning so the arsenal workers had no easy jobs.

The german detonators (Zündhütchen) were numbered (No. 23, 24, 25, etc.) and had different sizes and weights. For example the No. 24 was a more powerful No.23 with the same dimensions. But the detonators were not specific to base fuzes or head fuzes.

But sorry, if the * had the same meaning 30 years later is a good question which I can't answer.

Last edited:
Hi,
The star on Dopp Z S60 Fg * is a sign of improved mechanism with special primer for impact function. The Star symbol is sometimes found next to the lot number.
Fuzes manufactured before WW2 also have a star symbol. This means, if I remember correctly, that they were refurbished at the Rheinmetall factory.
Base fuzes, as Dronic69 wrote, use the star symbol for change in the delay mechanism (BdZ f 7,5 cm Pzgr*) or change of primer (kz. Bd.Z. 10*).

The star on these simple fuzes in question remains a mystery to me.

Bob

Hallo,
I could only find 2 rounds that used the ZZ 1505. One for the MG 151/20, the 2cm M-Geschosspatrone 151 m.Zerl. and for the MG FFM the2cm M-Gesch.Patr. FFM m.Zerl. Normally the fuze used a "Duplex Detonator" screwed into the bottom. There also existed a ZZ 1505 A, which had a somehow different setup inside. The "Duplex Detonator"(cap + detonator in one housing) is nondelay. But, by using the detonator "VD*" "VD Stern" a delay could be introduced, so that the shell penetrated 20cm into the aircraft to burst inside. I think that the effect of an"M-Geschoss" is greater if it bursts inside the targetplane and not ouside. So, may be. the Zerlegerzünder 1505* is assembled with the "VD*" detonator.
Bellifortis.

So ,

what could the * stand for with the A.Z. 5045 * & 2cm Kpf. Z. 45 * ?

Best regards