Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

20lb Cooper Aerial bomb

HereP2240029.JPGP2240031.JPGP2240033.JPG is an artifact I picked up at anantique mall over 20 years ago. My research indicates it is a 20 lb CooperAerial bomb. The Cooper bomb was a British 20 pound bomb used extensively inWorld War I. It was the first high explosive bomb to be adopted by the RoyalFlying Corps.
    The bomb was 24lb in weight, of which 20lbwas the bomb casing and 4lb was the high explosive. The main body was made ofcast iron and the after body is made of wood and the fins sheet steel.
    As you can see, this has been turned into a“Training Aid” at some point. Likely, as I found it in the US, it is from the pre-WWII AAC Era.
    List of aircraft that used the cooperbomb
    SE5a
    Bristol F2 Fighter
    D.H. 4
    Sopwith camel
    Fe 2
    I believe the Cooper Bomb was also used byUS forces, but I haven’t fond info on that connection yet, likely, it wascalled something else.
    Thanks for looking! Comments Welcome!
    BKW
    Last edited by spotter; 25th February 2020 at 11:13 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Keith For This Useful Post:

wichitaslumlord (25th February 2020)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hello Brian,

That is a GREAT example. You are correct that these were made in the U.S. as well. I saw a U.S. one at the Aberdeen museum many years ago and it appeared identical to the British. My Cooper has the British Broad Arrow stamped on the dome of the fuze so you might look for that (if it wasn't lost in the cutaway). I don't think these were in U.S. service for very long after WW1. Thanks for posting! Pat

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 698 Posts
    Nice bomb. How about changing your font to something readable on a black background?
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,754 Times in 1,054 Posts
    As Pat mentioned, you are correct in that the Cooper Bomb was used by the US, produced as one of the MK series (MK II?). I'm reading this at work and so do not have access to the library to check exact nomenclature. The US used them through our short portion of the war, then the excess were used up for training in the 1920s. A number of them have washed up in recent decades along northern Lake Huron, where they were used by Camp Skeel (much later Wurtsmith AFB) in the 1920s during air gunnery practice. A couple of years ago I was able to talk to one of the locals that still had several which he had recovered while beachcombing.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

wichitaslumlord (25th February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments and added information. I'm not sure why the letters are dark other that that I composed the info in a word document and cut and pasted it.
    Regards,
    BKW

Thanks
    It works if I highlight all and drag the arrow down on my Mac. I did not realise there was info with these photos until told by others.

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,754 Times in 1,054 Posts
    A couple of the Lake Huron recoveries.
    Cooper 25# 3.jpg
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

Gspragge (27th February 2020)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    I posted one of these several years ago here that was American made that I did some wood restoration on.
    http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...ghlight=Cooper
    Last edited by spotter; 27th February 2020 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks

Here is an artifact I picked up at an antique mall over 20 years ago. My research indicates it is a 20 lb Cooper Aerial bomb. The Cooper bomb was a British 20 pound bomb used extensively in World War I. It was the first high explosive bomb to be adopted by the Royal Flying Corps.
    The bomb was 24lbin weight, of which 20lb was the bomb casing and 4lb was the high explosive.The main body was made of cast iron and the after body is made of wood and the fins sheet steel.
    As you can see,this has been turned into a “Training Aid” at some point. Likely, as I found it in the US, it is from the pre-WW II AAC Era.
    List of air craftthat used the cooper bomb
    SE5a
    Bristol F2 Fighter
    D.H. 4
    Sopwith camel
    Fe 2
    I believe the Cooper Bomb was also used by US forces, but I haven’t found info on that connection yet, likely, it was called something else.
    Thanks for looking! Comments Welcome!
    BKW

Above was reposted with a change in font color so it is readable, Sorry for the problem in the first post. Thanks for all the great comments and information. I've always thought it was a really neat items, the first training aid cutaway I purchased. If I recall, I got it for only about $30.
    Glad you enjoyed seeing it.
    BKW

Thanks
    I found this Cooper bomb fuze this week and identified it from this thread.
    I thought collectors would like to see the stampings.

Hard to read but seems to be: No7 T HINKS 1918

Cooper Fuze 1.jpegFuze 2.jpgFuze 3.jpegFuze 4.jpeg

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ron3350 For This Useful Post:

Fusse2004 (4th March 2020), Gspragge (5th March 2020)