Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

War & Peace show Haul

Acquired today. Left to right they are:

1. 7,5cm KwK 40 cartridge case. Rusty; but a lot of it is cosmetic. No holes, cracks or chips.
    2. As above. Not quite as nice condition, but only appears to have a small chip out of the neck.
    3. 6 Pounder Hotchkiss shell. Only cosmetically rusty. Clearly marked VSM 1916.
    4. US made 57mm / 6 Pounder 7cwt projectile. Mostly only cosmetic rust.
    5. 6 Pounder 7cwt projectile. Fired and well rusted. (A free gift)
    6. WWII Mills No.36 grenade casing. Moderately rusted, but restorable. The centre tube and spring are still intact.
    7. 20mm Hispano ball projectile. Fired and well rusted. (Also a free gift)

The star find is the 6 Pounder Hotchkiss shell, which is a bit of a diamond in the rough. Apart from the KwK 40 cases , they’ve all started a dip in Citric acid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peregrinvs For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (24th July 2019), Martin Bull (24th July 2019)

Thanks
    Well done ! We must have followed each other around - that KwK40 casing looks familiar, I 'passed' as I already have one. And I couldn't resist one of those 57mm/6pr projectiles ; the rust is relatively light & I reckon will clean up well. It's not easy to find ( cheap ) unfired examples.

My own 'haul' included a rather lovely 8.8cm PaK/KwK PzGr projectile - unfired, complete with base fuze and faded but visible stencils/colouring.

beltring yesterday was much better than I expected - there was a lot of ordnance for sale and dealers generally were keen to 'haggle'.

Thanks
    Sounds like we were on very similar missions. I had a good day with a much better haul of items than last year. I think a lot of dealers and collectors are getting into ordnance after the deactivated gun market got messed up by the ban on sales of non-EU spec ones. I also had success with negotiating asking prices downwards.

The nicer KwK 40 case and the 6pr Hotchkiss shell came from the biggest ordnance stall at the end of one of the rows. Lots of nice stuff and much of it priced to sell. The Hotchkiss shell made it worth coming for that alone and everything else was a bonus.

Pictures attached of the results of an overnight soak in strong Citric acid solution. So far, so good. The Mills look likes it’ll fettle up well and I discovered some traces of green paint around the middle, so I know how to repaint it. The spring inside has come out mint, so I assume it is stainless steel.

I’ve moved the 6pr Hotchkiss and 57mm projectiles into a weaker solution of acid as it’ll attack solid metal in high concentrations. As you can see, some of the US stencils survived under the rust, but unfortunately they were too fragile to save.

The KwK 40 cases have gone off for a long bath in diluted molasses. I’ll see how they’re doing in a month or two.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peregrinvs For This Useful Post:

Martin Bull (24th July 2019)

Thanks
    The Hotchkiss shell post clean-up. Currently undecided whether to repaint it or not. There’s some pitting on the side opposite the markings that I could conceal if I did.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peregrinvs For This Useful Post:

SG500 (26th July 2019)

Thanks
    anyone got any photos of the sales tables,its always nice to dream when your so far away

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Nice to see the annual sale tables, been a bit of a tradition on this site this time every year, especially Bens stall.

Thanks
    The fired 6pr 7cwt shot post-clean up and stuck in a case for fun. I’m not planning to give it a full filler and paint makeover as there’s no great point. No doubt it’s just me being slightly weird, but I’ve long thought post-rusted items like this had a certain pleasing aesthetic quality all of their own.

I was was planning to return to W&P today with my children to see the displays, having done my shopping on Tuesday. But a mixture of terrible weather and domestic issues has vetoed it.

Thanks
    Hi Peregrinus
    I totally agree with you about cleaned up but not over restored rounds. They look fantastic just the way they are. If they have come from a battlefield it is even better because they tell their own story. I have a collection of items from the battlefields of Normandie and to me they just ooze history. German tank rounds in particular.
    Keep up the good work
    Regards
    Matt

12. The Following User Says Thank You to flak18 For This Useful Post:

peregrinvs (28th July 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flak18 View Post
    I totally agree with you about cleaned up but not over restored rounds. They look fantastic just the way they are. If they have come from a battlefield it is even better because they tell their own story. I have a collection of items from the battlefields of Normandie and to me they just ooze history. German tank rounds in particular.
    Keep up the good work
    I’ll have to admit I am someone who usually fully restores things (see various previous threads in this section) but having also got a largely undamaged one, I’m happy to leave it as it is.

Thanks
    Had a bit of a win with the Mills No.36. More out of hope than expectation, I thought I’d try and remove the centre tube via heating and cooling cycles. I alternately blasted the bottom with a blow torch and then poured cold water down the middle several times - followed by a bath in Paraffin.

To to my delight it unscrewed without much difficulty. It’s in poor condition so I’ll replace it, but it’s good to know the method works. I have a dug WWI Mills No.36 drill with a seized aluminium centre tube I’d ideally like to dismantle.

The tool is one of the ones sold by Dugup. It so happens I also have a spare example of one of their repro centre tubes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peregrinvs For This Useful Post:

Zorro (16th May 2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast