What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Grenade; Looking for Identification

ordnance

Premium Member
I saw this grenade last week but am unable to identify it. Very nicely made. The blue-grey color sort of looks French. Threaded on the bottom, probably for a rifle launching rod or possibly combination hand/rifle? Anyone recognize it? Thanks.

P1070501.jpgP1070500.jpgP1070499.jpgP1070498.jpgP1070497.jpg

Looks fake to me Rick, hope you didn't spend too much. You should probably get rid of it.

Jeff,

It's one I saw at at show but didn't buy because it was unidentified AND a lot of money. But I might work some sort of trade for it if we can figure out what it is. I didn't have any measuring tools with me but it's about 2 1/4" in diameter and 6" or 7" long. It sure looks WWI vintage to me. Someone must have seen one like it somewhere but I'm stumped.

Never seen it before but my first impression was it was like a Russian stick mine. 2 1/4" Diameter seems big for a rifle grenade but it is the same diameter as the monster Austrian Zeitzunder rifle grenade.

So as a long shot it might be a Russian copy of the Austrian Zeitzunder but with a set back striker, similar to the Hale's types. The brass work looks WW1 vintage. Other than that - stumped!

Last edited:
I get japanese vibes from it for some reason. It also reminds me of WWI German mortar rounds. Hard to tell without something for scale.

EDIT - Possibly a rifle-grenade variant of the Spanish M1936 Grenade?

Last edited: