What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze Plugs No4A and No14 Mk3.

ron3350

I show these two fuze plugs.
Using T.Parker's book the No4A is a special tapered plug for the No 19A fuze used in 3 and 6Pr Lyddite HE shells c.1912.
It is a smaller special tapered thread 0.8725"x14TPI . I did not realize that a smaller size than 1"GS existed.
It is solid brass 43mm long. 25.4mm at top. 17mm at base. Thread tapers from 19.5-23.5mm. 0.8725 " would be about half way up the threads?
There is no photo in the book so feel free to use these images.

The No 14 Mk3 plug is a navy plug and I show a British and an Australian variation.
2"x 14 threads. Solid brass. What era as it would fit most Navy projectiles. Who is BB maker ?

No4A Plug 1.jpegNo4A Plug 2.jpegNo14 Mk3 Plug 1.jpegNo14 Mk3 Plug 2.jpeg

Ron,

As the 'Mark No.' is an Arabic number as opposed to Roman - manufactured 1945 onwards.

I'll look up BB later

TimG

Last edited:
I show these two fuze plugs.
Using T.Parker's book the No4A is a special tapered plug for the No 19A fuze used in 3 and 6Pr Lyddite HE shells c.1912.
It is a smaller special tapered thread 0.8725"x14TPI . I did not realize that a smaller size than 1"GS existed.
It is solid brass 43mm long. 25.4mm at top. 17mm at base. Thread tapers from 19.5-23.5mm. 0.8725 " would be about half way up the threads?
There is no photo in the book so feel free to use these images.

The No 14 Mk3 plug is a navy plug and I show a British and an Australian variation.
2"x 14 threads. Solid brass. What era as it would fit most Navy projectiles. Who is BB maker ?

View attachment 158447View attachment 158448View attachment 158449View attachment 158450

Ron,

Great to see another item I couldn't find a photo or drawing of when I was researching for my book. Congratulations on finding very rare items. If I ever produce a second edition I would like to include your photos! Thanks for showing. Trevor

BB - Bluemell Bros., Ltd. (Wolston). Cycle accessories manufacturers Wolston, Coventry. “ Bluemell, Wolston” TN 244

TimG

William Suckling and Sons, Birmingham. (Made various grenades, hand and rifle, as part of their portfolio.)

The attached image of a No.35 rifle grenade body plug shows the monogram including the company initials.

Tom.

Attachments

• WS&S No.35 body plug.jpg
    WS&S No.35 body plug.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 21