What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Id rifle grenade

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
A rusty grenade found on 1944 battelfield.
Same general shape as US smoke rifle grenade M19 and M20 but very strange solid conical base with emission holes.
X-ray shows something like a central burster.
No crimping on base but a thread.
Is it an early model of US rifle grenade or something else ?
approx. length : 280mm
Regards

unknown grenade.jpg

Last edited:
In FM 23-30 (Grenades and pyrotechnics signals) they speak about a signal streamer grenade M23A1 with four holes on the base, ...but not a conical base.
Perhaps a track to follow

Yoda

The shape is closer to M20 with different base (M23 is fitted with central tube ans hole on top).
The conical part with emission holes looks like a STRIM design.

Last edited:
Perhhaps something similar to this with the T1 adapter

Attachments

• adapter t1.jpg
    adapter t1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 62
Rifle Grenade

Both the grenades and a well known person

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• 37a.jpg
    37a.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 94
So same launcher adapter, but different grenade.
I assume the mysterious grenade belongs to the T series and was used by US soldiers in France in summer 1944.
Maybe Us-Subs and Hazord could help with Aberdeen's archives.

Is that de Gaulle? I thought he was thinner.....

I haven't seen anything so far, I'll try and look some more at home in the coming days. It is strange, if the dimensions of your drawing are accurate it should not be the T-1 Adapter type, as the name implies the T-1 was intended to adapt standard size smoke grenades to rifle use. Your drawing looks much more like a standard M23 size, if a variation in style. It also makes no sense to have emission holes and a central burster, is it possible that the Xray is showing a void, perhaps for ignition/burning, and it is simply appearing differently on the Xray image?

Hello,
We found again this grenade in bad condition.
Filled WP with the general shape of hand grenade smoke M15.
Now I think it could be an M15 with T1 adaptor for rifle.
Is there an official use of this combination ?

It is no wonder that safety violations are evident--you have a one-star, a two-star and a three-star. That many senior officers, esp. with no senior NCO to supervise, is a safety violation in itself! Who was actually in charge of the munitions? In charge of Safety?

Sorry, I don't understand your comment