What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on M49 flare body material

Have not been able to locate any flare designated "T14". Maybe not a U.S. designation. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Scan_20200315 (7).jpg Scan_20200315 (2).jpg Scan_20200315 (5).jpg

T14 was cardboard tube with sheet steel ends.

Attachments

• T14 Illum.jpg
    T14 Illum.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 21
If it isn't clear from the posts, the M49 and its predecessors have evolved over time, often times without changes in nomenclature. I've seen variations over the years in all three materials. The apparent reason for change was the standard one for pyrotechnics, trying to find a case material that protected the composition from moisture and rough handling, while not having reactions between case materials and the composition. Kind of surprising that there haven't been any plastic versions yet.

I have a few M49A1 dated 1968-70. I was told by the seller they were cheap and common in the 1980's. Posted just for info, I pulled one apart per set up / installation instructions to see how the trigger works....metal body, aluminum is my guess.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 14
Laminated paper body with paraffin coating. Metal end caps and bracket.

Stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• 18F85A24-ABC2-4D8C-AE26-B4EF1D8F4BD7.jpg
    18F85A24-ABC2-4D8C-AE26-B4EF1D8F4BD7.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Since this is an active topic, I'd like to ask a quick question related to these items (not trying to hijack). I just picked up an inert M49A1 without a bracket. After some searching I can't find any for sale anywhere at the moment. I have some saved searches so my ears are to the ground. I haven't been on BOCN much and I haven't found any WTB/WTT listings and the classified listings don't look very active. If anyone has any guidance/thoughts, it's appreciated.
Was the M49 filler a composite of aluminum powder and an oxidizer like the M49A1?
Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited: