What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

East German version of RKG-3

Nismosonic

This is by far the largest grenade in my collection.
Hollow charge warhead (INERT) and has a chute in the handle.
I most certainly would NOT want to be the thrower of these, the blast must have been huge!
Does anyone have any further info? I’ve read somewhere special squads were trained in all Eastern Block countries to use these?

Attachments

• 8EA3382A-D337-4187-B1C6-BE3C8405DD37.jpg
    8EA3382A-D337-4187-B1C6-BE3C8405DD37.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 65EBF795-34D4-4222-B95D-C89E19D6FFA7.jpg
    65EBF795-34D4-4222-B95D-C89E19D6FFA7.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 1ADE4932-FC80-49C0-9A0F-95BE42146CF5.jpg
    1ADE4932-FC80-49C0-9A0F-95BE42146CF5.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 1940E90E-CDD3-4A42-B536-BE3CE16E3B0D.jpg
    1940E90E-CDD3-4A42-B536-BE3CE16E3B0D.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 32
Rkg-3

Here some info

Attachments

• RKG-3 AT Grenade Oost Duits.jpg
    RKG-3 AT Grenade Oost Duits.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 49
Here are more information. Data sheets from the german Army.

Attachments

• RKG-3 1.jpg
    RKG-3 1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 32
  • RKG-3 2.jpg
    RKG-3 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 24
Cutaway model of a Russian RKG-3M shaped charge anti tank hand grenade. The Russian abbriviation RKG stands for Ruchnaya Kumulyativnaya Granata; hand grenade with hollow charge.

This handgrenade is meant as a last ditch defence against armoured vehicles, and can be thrown to a distance of approximately 15 to 20 meters. It is –preferably- thrown from behind a cover to avoid the thrower from being injured by debris from grenade or target that can be lethal up to 20 meters.

The RKG-3M was used extensively during the 1973 Yom Kippur War.

Description and functioning of the RKG-3M :
The warhead exists of a sheet metal can (1) in which a red copper cone (2) is placed. The cone is fixated by means of a roll crimp. On top of the cone a sheet metal cap (3) is placed which forms the stand off (optimum explosion distance shaped charge from the target). The explosive charge (4, yellow) is placed below the cone A cilinder shaped hole is drilled in the base of the explosive charge in which a thin aluminium cup is placed. This lower side of the cup houses the booster charge (5, red), on top of the booster charge the wave shaper (6) is placed. The wave shaper delays the explosion front a littele so the detonation front will hit the cone in a more preferable angle. This improves the penetration depth.The base of the warhead is closed by a sheet metal screwed on cap (7) which also houses the pipe piece in which the duplex detonator (8) is placed.

In top of the stick of the grenade the all-ways impact fuze (9) is placed. Below that the drogue chute assembly (10) is placed. The assembly exists of a piston with a pipe at the backside and the arming pin (26) at the frontside. The arming pin is placed in the all ways fuze (9) and renders it safe. The parachute is wrapped around the pipe at the backside of the piston A spring wants to push the assembly outward, stoppd by a end cap (11) to which two spoons are attached. One spoon (12) is fixated to the end cap, the other one is a loose spoon (13) that has a hook that locks behind a hole in the stick and so fixates the cap to the stick. Both front ends of the spoons are locke under a rim under the warhead skirt.

The grenade is made ready to throw by pulling the safety pin (14), keeping the stick with the spoons in a firm grip. The pressure spring (15) will move the warhead appr one centimeter upward upon removing the safety pin, releasing the spoons (12,13).

The grenade is thrown. The spring (16) that wants to throw the drogue chute outward starts pushing -by means of a loose pipe piece (17)- upon the end cap. This forces the connected loose spoon (13) to rotate over the hook in the hole, releasing both spoons and the end cap (11,12,13). The drogue chute is forced out and the four radial wire springs (at 90 degr each) force the parachute to open. The drogue chute pulls out the piston with the pipe and arming pin further backward, removing the arming (26) pin from the fuze, thus arming the fuze.

The “All-ways”’ fuze exists of a sheet steel housing (18) in which the upper part of the fuze (19, blue) is screwed. A small steel pipe (also blue) with a ringshaped –inner- diameter enlargement (20) is connected to the upper part (19). Inside this pipe the firing pin housing (21, green) is placed, housing the springloaded (22) firing pin(23). The firing pin is fixated by two locking balls (24) which fall into a groove in the firing pin body. In the lower part of the firing pin housing two arming balls (25) are placed in a radial drilled hole. With the arming pin (26) in place , the balls are forced outward, preventing the Firing cap housing (21) from moving forward into the upper part (19, blue) of the fuze. A lead ball (27) with a throuh hole is placed behind the firing pin housing (21, green). Both the lower side of the sheet steel fuze housing (18) and the firing pin housing are conical shaped.
When the arming pin (26) has been withdrawn after throwing the grenade, both arming balls (25) fall inward. Upon impact, the inertia momentum of the lead ball will push the firing pin housing forward untill the locking balls (24) of the firing pin fall into the ringshaped groove (20, blue). This releases the firing pin (23) from moving into the duplex detonator (8), exploding the detonator and the main charge. The telescoped Upper fuze part (19, blue) and the firing pin housing (21, green) are held apart in flight by a very light pressure spring (28h).

If the grenade hits the grond with the stick First either sideways -instead of on the nose-, the lead ball will also move sideways. This will push both conical sides of the fuze housing (18) and the firing pin housing (21, green) apart, what means the firing pin housing is pushed forward, releasing the firing pin.

Of cource one will understand that RKG-3 duds are to be considered extremely dangerous due to the very sensitive all ways fuze. It is therefore not to be touched or moved.

Data : RKG-3M :

Diameter : 72mm
Length : 362mm
Weight : 1,07 Kg
Explosive charge : 0,567 Kg RDX/TNT
Penetration : 165mm Steel perpendicular

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - RKG-3 anti-tank handgrenade.JPG
    01 - RKG-3 anti-tank handgrenade.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 02 - RKG-3 anti-tank handgrenade with numbers.JPG
    02 - RKG-3 anti-tank handgrenade with numbers.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 03 - RKG-3 anti tank hand grenade after throwing.JPG
    03 - RKG-3 anti tank hand grenade after throwing.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 04 - RKG-3 all ways fuze safe & armed.JPG
    04 - RKG-3 all ways fuze safe & armed.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 19
So fun question … was there any differences between the German and Russian versions? I know they were probably made through license. But I would be interested in knowing if the Germans made changes to theirs.

This question has fascinated me when it comes to the Former Soviet Union states. Several countries made the same ordnance pieces, but I would guess they might have made changes based on available metals, explosives, or even desire.

Joe

Anti-tank hand grenade with shaped charge RKG-3 was developed and produced in former USSR. It superseded the series of grenades RPG-43, RPG-40 and RPG-6. The grenade is designed to be used against combat armored vehicles. When the safety pin is pulled out, the grenade is thrown, and then a drogue parachute is pushed up by a spring. This parachute stabilizes the grenade during the flight and also ensures that the grenade strikes the target at a 90 degree angle. This maximizes the effect of the shaped charge. The antitank grenade was and still is in the use in many countries (imported or copied). The delicate fuze makes from this grenade a sensitive dud when is found in the field.

total weight of grenade with detonators and transport safety device [kg]
explosive type
TNT/RDX (50; 50 or 45 ;55)
weight of explosive [kg]
0.310 shaped charge
diameter (mm)
height of body (mm)
dimension of pressure plate [mm]
activation force (greater than) [N]
effect of grenade [mm]
fragmentation up to 25 m, penetration up to 170 mm RHA
type of fuze
mechanical, impact

So fun question … was there any differences between the German and Russian versions? I know they were probably made through license. But I would be interested in knowing if the Germans made changes to theirs.

This question has fascinated me when it comes to the Former Soviet Union states. Several countries made the same ordnance pieces, but I would guess they might have made changes based on available metals, explosives, or even desire.

The only ones (copies) I recall as being different were outside of the Warsaw pact, the Yugo and the Chinese copies. The Yugo (M79?) had something about the fuze that was a problem, don't recall off the top of my head what it was. The Chinese had a couple of differences, but they were internal and you'd have to look them up.

We had the opportunity to throw some of these on an improvised range during the Gulf War, details that stuck out were that they were surprisingly light, and therefore hard to throw very far, and of all the grenades that we threw (lots) they were by far the loudest.