What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 281 mk ii

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Fuze and tracer … NO 281 MK II

Diameter: 25-MM
Length: 87-MM
Exposed: 52-MM

Joe

Attachments

• DSC_0781.jpg
    DSC_0781.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0786.jpg
    DSC_0786.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0790.jpg
    DSC_0790.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0794.jpg
    DSC_0794.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 59
This was used with the 2 Pr Mks 9 - 10A HV gun in the Shell AP/T.
This shell was not very effective because the explosive content was so small.

Made by RL - ROF Woolwich, Jan 1937
Filled by W - ROF Woolwich, Jan 1939

TimG

jvollenberg
Bonnex sent me this to forward to you.

Attachments

• 281 fuze-tracer - 1.jpg
    281 fuze-tracer - 1.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 72
Hello,

Fuze No 281 MkII is a No 281 MkI with the percussion mechanism removed. So the fuze is simply a tracer (info from Bonnex)

Regards

Thanks all for the info. I have found a couple of 281s and remains of the fuze on my favourite beach in years gone.

Here is a No 281 Mk II that I found five days ago. Just cleaned it this afternoon. Length is about 48 or 49 mm though it may be slightly compressed compared to before it was fired (the external screw threaded end is mis-shapen) and the diameter is about 15 mm. The screw-in rear end of the tracer shown in the first photo is cracked and slightly flattened due to impact stresses. You can also see two small holes, presumably for use with a tool to screw the end home after the tracer was filled. The second photo shows the hole for the grub screw attachment. The fourth photo shows impact marks just behind the externally threaded portion, partially obliterating the date of filling, August 1939. Note the different manufacturer to that in the earlier post but the same filler (Woolwich) and an advanced filled lot number. A nice example and I didn't have to do too much cleaning.
P1080936.jpgP1080937.jpgP1080938.jpgP1080939.jpg

Remains of associated fuze

Here is part of a fuze, found earlier this year. The only markings appear to be inspection markings at most: The broad arrow and `BA' over '26' on one flat and `F' over `78' on the other. Note the threaded hole for the grub screw and the explosion damage at the base of the cavity above the flange. I guess the flats were there to allow the tracer and fuze assembly to be screwed to the shell.
P1080940.jpgP1080941.jpgP1080944.jpgP1080946.jpg

I'm still looking for the inner works of the fuze so I can cut my 2 pounder APHE. Does anybody have the inner works (firing pin, firing pin wieght and spring) spare? Of cource I'm willing to pay for it.
Regards. DJH

pzgr40,

The fuze (percussion part) looks very similar to Fuze, Percussion, Base, Hotchkiss, Mk VI - might be worth trying the internals from one of those fuzes.

TimG