What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 37mm Possibly French

doppz92

Premium Member
Hello, I found this shell a while ago and never had time to post anything about it.
It is 37mm, there's no doubt about it, however, above the driving bands it's much bigger than a usual 37mm, unfortunately I can't lay my hands on my caliper so I can't give proper dimensions. It has 2 French style copper driving bands, although they are much larger than those of the regular 37-85 (pictured alongside for reference). There's no markings whatsoever. I am not sure there is a noze fuze, it looks more like a plug. Total length is 155mm including the plug.

Attachments

• Image (6).jpg
    Image (6).jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Image (7).jpg
    Image (7).jpg
    297 KB · Views: 22
  • Image (8).jpg
    Image (8).jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Image (9).jpg
    Image (9).jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Image (10).jpg
    Image (10).jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 43
Hello,
General shape is typical of french navy 37mm (eras 20's/30's)
I'm quite sure the base was machined (I don't know why) because the diameter is smaller, no boat tail, and remnant of crimp groove.
Regards
For example :
Mle 25/39
37MM.jpg

Mle 24-39 :
MODEL 1924-39.jpg

Hi Minen, it does look like the Mle 25/39 you posted (btw, on which case would it go?), and I agree, it looks like the base was machined, however, the base is exactly 37mm, and although I still can't find my caliper, the part of the projectile above the driving bands is well over 40mm. Could it be a 40mm shell, with the base machined down to fit a 37mm case, quite likely to serve as decoration of some sort? But I cannot find anything on a French 40mm gun pre WW2. Someone any thoughts?