What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian WW1 76.2mm Schrapnell Cutaway

doppz92

Premium Member
Hi, here is what I believe is a factory cutaway 76.2mm Russian Schrapnell Shell. It's in very good condition and the outside was chromed at some point, may be because this was a selling aid? Any info welcome.

Image (30).jpgImage (29).jpgImage (31).jpgImage (33).jpgImage (32).jpgImage (34).jpg

Just a beauty!
I am puzzled by the fuze. It is not the type common in our neck of the woods.
We find mostly aluminium body with brass top cap. Rarely there are those with brass body. (pic 1)
I found in my files a pic of a similar fuze like the one shown by doppz92, note the different shape of powder channels.

I join the plea for more info :)
Bob

Attachments

• _JUL3834.jpg
    _JUL3834.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 30
  • _JUL3833.jpg
    _JUL3833.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 31
I have a few more of these fuzes and I never noticed the diference, but as you will see, mine are also different. Could these be all variants, "ersatz"? in your model, there are a few parts made of brass, and the powder channels seem to be lined with brass as well, in the two fuses below, there's no such thing, and they are mainly made of aluminum with less brass parts. They all seem to be graduated up to 130, and the one on the shell as well.

Attachments

• Image (38).jpg
    Image (38).jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Image (40).jpg
    Image (40).jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Image (39).jpg
    Image (39).jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Image (37).jpg
    Image (37).jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Image (36).jpg
    Image (36).jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Image (35).jpg
    Image (35).jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 32
Beautiful fuzes,
would you be so kind and take a picture of the markings on the tops and bases of the fuzes?
I was also thinking that direction when I got the brass based fuze. It seems that both my were manufactured by CT3 (STZ - Samarsky Trubochnyj Zavod) in 1916.
Pictures from the web and other fuzes showed that the aluminium based fuzes were made before, during and after 1916.

I have heard a rumor that fuzes with pure aluminium top cap were French import. But I have yet to find a written proof.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_6201.jpg
    IMG_6201.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6203.jpg
    IMG_6203.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi,
@M8owner: I have 4 similar fuzes and all 4 go to 130, and also I noticed mine have different marks where yours is just "21"

@Nabob: below are close ups of the markings of the cutaway fuses with aluminium tops. They are identical on the top, except for anchor and window which also has the markings underneath, the other one with the letter "G" bears no marks underneath. Could the crossed S be standing for Schneider?

Attachments

• Image (58).jpg
    Image (58).jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Image (61).jpg
    Image (61).jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Image (62).jpg
    Image (62).jpg
    265 KB · Views: 6
  • Image (63).jpg
    Image (63).jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Image (60).jpg
    Image (60).jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Image (59).jpg
    Image (59).jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Image (57).jpg
    Image (57).jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I have a couple more of these fuzes, both with the brass top, here are the close-ups of the markings:

Nabob, any info is welcome.

Attachments

• Image (70).jpg
    Image (70).jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Image (69).jpg
    Image (69).jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Image (68).jpg
    Image (68).jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Image (67).jpg
    Image (67).jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Image (66).jpg
    Image (66).jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Image (64).jpg
    Image (64).jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Image (65).jpg
    Image (65).jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Image (60).jpg
    Image (60).jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 10
Thank you,
S, G or F are not letters in the acrylics alphabet so I assume this is imported.
The crossed S is similar to the logo of Schneider. You can even see it on the 22 sec fuze on the attached pic.
I do not know which fuze does alpini see as last (I never get the right order when uploading pics :)).
CT3 or STZ is fuze factory in Samara
ПTZ is fuze factory in Petrograd - St Petersburg.
34K - Z4K - Kazan factory

The 22 sec fuze was also produced in Japan (Osaka Arsenal) and USA (R&CMCo, T-P).

Other markings on the top can be П (P), Г (G), or ПГ (PG) - saying that the fuze is to be used with the field gun, mountain gun or both.

Bob

Attachments

• SCHNEIDER.jpg
    SCHNEIDER.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 23
Thank you very much Nabob. Do you now the meaning of the letters identifying the factory? S stands for Samara but what mean TZ? and is K in Z4K standing for Kazan, but then what mean Z4? Thanks. Frank

T - trubochnyj ( trubka - non detonating fuze)
Z - zavod - factory

LTK - after St Petersburg was renamed Leningrad
Z4K - Zavov No. 4 imeni M.I. Kalinina (in the name of I.M.Kalinin) - this would be the post 1922 name of Leningrad factory later moved to Kazan
The Z4K fuzes would probably have threaded protective cap.

Bob

Could the crossed S be standing for Schneider?

Yes, that's why I said it's Schneider Export. You see the S also on the right fuze on Nabobs picture. It's the simplified Schneider logo with crossed cannons. But also without the Schneider logo your fuze is clearly made by Schneider because of it's different mechanics inside - very typical Schneider system.

Hello,
I call my fuze 22-CEK, is it right (1917 schneider made) ?
Regards

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, this is exactly the same fuze as the two cutaways I have. What's the meaning of the sign opposite the Schneider logo, on mine it is cut so I couldn't tell what it was since it's incomplete. Is it meaning the fuze is intended for a shell which will be fired in a field gun? Thanks.

Yes, that would be a P in Cyrilics. Unusualy large when compared with the marking on Russian made fuzes.
Bob