What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 4.7 inch Mk XI case dimensions

RobertB

I'm looking for the dimensions for the British 4.7 inch Mk XI (11, eleven) naval case. Case mouth diameter, length and rim diameter. Can anyone assist? Any photos will also be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Sorry, didn't realise that was missing. I have a case length of 716 mm from Conway, but he doesn't give the rim diameter, which I assume must be greater than the other naval 4.7".

Thanks for the case length info Tony. I have a cut-down case. I measure the rim diameter as ~166mm.
Excuse my ignorance, what is the Conway reference you mention?

Conway's Naval Weapons of WW2, a superb reference.

I thought you were talking about the author's name. Now you say the book name, I've got a copy sitting in one of my bookcases. Haven't looked at it in years!

20200330_213916.jpg

It has a terrible index though as the weapons aren't indexed, just the ships?? Plus it doesn't have much data on the ammunition, what they look like, detailed specs, etc.. It's primarily just about the guns and other weapons, but then again, that's what the title of the book says. I guess someone needs to write a sister book titled, 'Ammunition For Naval Weapons'.

Anyway, a quick phone camera photo of the page that covers the case details and model of gun.

20200330_214652.jpg

Hi Have a look in John Cambells book the only info I can find is the case is 28.195 ins or 716.2mm When I started in the depot the 4.7 ins gun was way out of service Work on the 4.5 ins You may be able to get some info on the case for the Explosion Museum Priddys Hard, Gosport PO12 4LE Hope this info helps Steve EX RNAD Trecwn

It has a terrible index though as the weapons aren't indexed, just the ships?? Plus it doesn't have much data on the ammunition, what they look like, detailed specs, etc.. It's primarily just about the guns and other weapons, but then again, that's what the title of the book says. I guess someone needs to write a sister book titled, 'Ammunition For Naval Weapons'.

Yes, the focus is on the guns and mountings (as well torpedoes, mines etc), but Campbell did put in whatever info about the ammo he could get hold of. I suspect that it is harder to come by...